Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-22-2005, 04:59 PM   #16
sirex
King Sirex

the technical information they provide, look for some websites that explain what is good and what is not and match up the technical info with that.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:23 PM   #17
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerod
Thanks BigD,
Are you not in Vancouver?
If I just walked in off of the street, realistically how low will they go if it's on sale for $2999.99?
I'm flying to Mississauga Saturday evening, I can help you get it anytime after that before Jan 3rd. With regards to lowering the price, dunno. The might throw in the TV stand for free. It'll leave you thinking you just raped them but the TV stands are marked up about 150% (obviously I could get you that at a huge discount too). But I don't know for sure as I have nothing to do with operations. I'm in a small software company that was bought by bestbuy/futureshop, that's how I get access to emp prices. The only catch is you have to trust me with the $ because a staff purchase must be paid for by the staff.

Wait for boxing day. I hacked around on the corporate site and there are gonna be a lot of TV's on sale. They don't post any prices but I at least know what they'll be trying to get rid of. The 60" Sony is on the list (not the SXRD but IMO that's too much anyway, it'll be good when there is 1080p content, but for now it's just overpriced technology you can't use [not even WON'T but CAN'T]). I got the 55" Sony A20 and I ****ing love it!!!!
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:27 PM   #18
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex
the technical information they provide, look for some websites that explain what is good and what is not and match up the technical info with that.
I've never seen technical information that was really useful for detailed comparison. I mean obviously a 1080i set is worse than a 720p, but what if the hard specs are all very similar or the same? Audio and video are things that are very hard to fully quantify because there are things that are very very subjective. You see two TV's side by side, same source and everything, but you just like one better than the other and you can't put your finger on it. If you list everything like the frequency response etc you can get a better idea but in the end, you have to go look... You won't understand why Sony is better by looking at the specs and certainly not by looking at the price. But you will when you go and see.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:40 PM   #19
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Can someone explain which is better, projection or lcd?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:24 AM   #20
bimmerod
2nd Gear Member

I mean obviously a 1080i set is worse than a 720p

Can someone help me with what this means?
I assume it's resolution.

I agree with alot of the specs to be meaningless and you need to go into the store.
The 2 things I look for are the contrast between colours and when there is type on a logo on the screen how fine or course the edges are.
bimmerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #21
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
I mean obviously a 1080i set is worse than a 720p

Can someone help me with what this means?
I assume it's resolution.
Yup, i=interlaced, p=progressive. i means shit, it's two frames showing every other line. So effectively it requires the TV to have 540 lines of resolution. p is the interesting number, that's how many no bullshit lines the TV can display. Most Toshiba sets can't do 720p.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:23 AM   #22
bimmerod
2nd Gear Member

So is this a good set?
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...15&catid=23250
Or should I go to the pricey Sony?
Old 12-24-2005, 02:43 AM   #23
XI JR IX
1st BMW

Send a message via MSN to XI JR IX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD
Either that's BS or 2001 is getting owned by the sony distributor. Futureshop/Bestbuy's cost is around 1650, 1800 for employees.

Bimmerod: if you really want that toshiba from bby/FS, I can help you get it for about 2700+tax (from bby), my company is owned by bestbuy so I'm technically an employee.
No thats not BS.. "our store cost" is not the true cost of the item because head office marks up the cost a little to ensure that even if employees make purchases, they still make something off it.
XI JR IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 02:48 AM   #24
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
not to mention that the "cost" price changes depending on quantity. If Future Shop buys 2500 units, their "cost" price will be lower than the hole-in-the-wall store that bought 10 units.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #25
jeremy
6th Gear Member

so what is better ?
dlp
lcd
plasma
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #26
bimmerod
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the imput.
I bought the 60" Sony LCD projection from Future Shop for $3,000.
Pretty amazing.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #27
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
so what is better ?
dlp
lcd
plasma

DLP: causes nausia sometimes due to the rotating mirrors.
supposed to have the best contrast.
not a Flat Panel TV, can't be wall mounted

LCD: contrast issues and limited viewing angles
supposed to have superior colours.
can be wall mounted

Plasma: suffers from burn in easily.
IMO plasma still has the best picture quality, most vibrant colours no limited viewing angles.
can be wall mounted

LCOS: a somewhat variation between DLP and LCD. the Sony version is supposed to have superb contrast with great colour depth (mostly green and reds) Still has the limited viewing angles, but doesn't suffer from the easy burn in that plasma has.
not a Flat Panel TV, can't be wall mounted

From what I've read, there's no perfect large screen TV yet, but LCOS seems to have the least problems.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:06 AM   #28
beamerboycsl
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to beamerboycsl
Quote:
Thanks!!
This is the Toshiba I'm looking at

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...15&catid=23250
dude i work at best buy and the best tvs out are the samsung, but this toshiba is one of the best pics we have. soo true and has alot of color depth. the 42 samsung for 1500usd is a killer deal goin right now.
beamerboycsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #29
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamerboycsl
dude i work at best buy and the best tvs out are the samsung, but this toshiba is one of the best pics we have. soo true and has alot of color depth. the 42 samsung for 1500usd is a killer deal goin right now.
Why is Toshiba the best? I always thought Philips made the best LCD

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: