Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #31
JazzM
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
Unsure of the owner, but Mike at Munich Motors completed the swap.
Its an e36 my frined.. and its mike's car. We did his after we got mine running.. second time around took only about a month as we were waiting for parts to come in most of the time.

T.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #32
Jordan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzM
Mine's a 97 2.8L originally now with an S54. Your main issue will be getting the engine management working. In my case I'm using the orginial ECU (S54) and using the 2001/2002 m roadster ETK I've rewired the engine harness to body accept full body electrical integration. I can go to the dealership and they can diagnose the car fully including the 2004 M3 ECU and the 1997 body control units.

There are some serious issues to overcome. First and foremost is the EWS imobilization system. Your engine will not start unless you have a coded key, key reader, EWS and ECU matching.

What other's have done is simply use aftermarket engine management which gets rid of the dual vanos. In my opinion you will not have a usuable powerband like you would with the VaNoS enabled. The M3 unlike other BMW engies can adjust the VaNoS timing by as much as 40 degrees. Other BMW models only go to about 22 degrees. You're only going to get that tunning if you use the orginal ECU.

The next issue to overcome is the drive by wire throttle, those that go to an aftermarket ECU get rid of that too and replace it with a cable driven pedal. Again, mine has full drive by wire throttle which is adjustable in the ECU tunning.

Furhter you're going to run into issues with your fuel pump, fuel filter, etc. etc... It took us about 8 months to figure out all of BMW's wiring.

This winter I'll be adding DSC and ABS to the car and I'm currently researching converting the 6speed transmission to SMG (they are identical as we've rebuilt both types already). Only difference is the hydraulic gear selector/clutch and the control unit.

FYI, all comunication in the new generation ECUs is digital using the CAN+/- bus vs previous generation analog signals. Hence for example the cluster only connects two wires to the ECU to get the speed, rpm, error codes, temperature, etc....

Good luck and I'd like to hear more about your project and how it goes.

T.

Thanks for the advice. Right now is really the sorting out all the mechanicals phase of the project. Electrical will be last. We have all the tools to do everything we need, including a GT1 and Autologic. We have a complete body/engine wiring harness from a 2003 M3, along with drivetrain, EWS halo, key, ecu etc. Everything you could need we do have.

Wiring it all up and getting it to work will be interesting though.

One thing I'm still wondering about is the oil line to the head, and what to do about that.

333hp/285tq should be enough to move this wagon.
http://jordan.lodac.com/Images/M3Touring.jpg
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #33
Skunk#1
6th Gear Member

yeah i saw that car up ther and wondered what they were doing with it. that would be cool. but red, i dont like the red.
Skunk#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:44 PM   #34
RMPMOTORS
MaXsponsor

Jazz M, we had an s52 and we were putting out 250+ at the wheels then it blew up. The price was right for the m52 TU , and with the cams etc and more tuning the customer will be happy, considering the E30 was an original 85 318 4door, its a great sleeper.

Eibach-Koni-Bilstein-H&R-Powerflex-KW Suspension-OEM Parts+ MORE
EUROPEAN AUTO SERVICE & PERFORMANCE

www.RMPMOTORS.com

www.Facebook.com/RMPMotors
RMPMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:55 PM   #35
Jordan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk#1
but red, i dont like the red.
Thats perfectly fine. You won't be driving it.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:22 PM   #36
JazzM
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMPMOTORS
Jazz M, we had an s52 and we were putting out 250+ at the wheels then it blew up. The price was right for the m52 TU , and with the cams etc and more tuning the customer will be happy, considering the E30 was an original 85 318 4door, its a great sleeper.

I had a Supercharged M52 (non-TU) B28 aluminum block engine with S52 cams, M50 manifold, shorty headers and pulleys in my car. I was making just under 280 at the wheels.

With the S54 I'm getting about 290-300 with software, CAI, headers and exhaust. but the difference is that the throttle response is instantanioius due to the engine being naturally aspirated.

With the cams I should see around 310-315 RWHp or about 370-375 at the crank

The Z3 had the aluminum block compared to the steel block in the 328i.

T.

Last edited by JazzM; 12-22-2005 at 12:28 PM.
JazzM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:26 PM   #37
JazzM
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Thanks for the advice. Right now is really the sorting out all the mechanicals phase of the project. Electrical will be last. We have all the tools to do everything we need, including a GT1 and Autologic. We have a complete body/engine wiring harness from a 2003 M3, along with drivetrain, EWS halo, key, ecu etc. Everything you could need we do have.

Wiring it all up and getting it to work will be interesting though.

One thing I'm still wondering about is the oil line to the head, and what to do about that.

333hp/285tq should be enough to move this wagon.
http://jordan.lodac.com/Images/M3Touring.jpg
Check the vin number too if it needs to have the connecting rod bearings replaced as well... I did mine as a precaution before putting the engine in. Its much easier, otherwise you have to drop the subframe later on to get the oil pan off.

GT1 is absolutely necessary if you inted to keep the ECU. You won't need the body wiring, just the engine wiring. But you will need a throttle pedal.

Make sure you have a good set of headers. The cats are known to seaze up on the ealier models. If you need a set, I have a spare set of good ones.

T.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: