Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-19-2005, 12:17 AM   #1
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
How to store summer tires for winter?

What would be the best way to store the summer tires for the winter?

My friend said to store it in the basement if your garage isn't a heated one because the cold temperature during the winter can harden the rubber.

Also, do you guys store the tires vertically or horizontally w/the face of the wheel parallel to the floor?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:20 AM   #2
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to STALKER
Some tires do need to be stored above certain temperature, foe example the new Yoko Neovos need to be stored and used above -10C. Personally I always store mine in the basment, ontop of one another. You can get wheel/tire holder from CT if you dont want them to touch.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:30 AM   #3
X5HogTown
Goin' Diesel

Don't store them in the same room as the furnace, an oil furnace in particular. The surrounding air accelerates tire rot for some reason.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:59 AM   #4
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to STALKER
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5HogTown
Don't store them in the same room as the furnace, an oil furnace in particular. The surrounding air accelerates tire rot for some reason.
I didnt know that, good advice.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:42 AM   #5
jeffrie
Addict

Yes a cold room is best, no light an no -c will let them live for a long time

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:05 AM   #6
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Here you go, from Tirerack:

Since heat and exposure to the elements are the primary factors that influence a tire's aging process, drivers can prolong their tire's life by minimizing their impact. Here are some tips for storing tires that will not be used continuously.

• Don't store a vehicle with weight on its tires for extended periods of time. Long-term inactivity is more harmful to tires than short weekly drives that flex the tires and help maintain oil dispersion within the rubber compounds.
• DO NOT APPLY ANY TIRE DRESSINGS. Tire compounds are formulated to resist ozone cracking or weather checking.
• Keep the tires out of direct sunlight. The sun's ultraviolet rays and radiant heat are detrimental to rubber. We have used a pyrometer to measure tires that were simply sitting in direct sunlight on a parked vehicle. Surprisingly those tires' temperatures were 135° Fahrenheit on their surface.
• Place each tire in its own large, opaque, airtight plastic bag (such as lawn and garden bags) for storing. Avoid allowing any moisture and remove as much air as practical (some drivers even use a vacuum cleaner to draw out as much as possible). Close the bag tightly and tape it shut. This places the tire in its own personal mini-atmosphere to help reduce oil evaporation.
• If you choose not to store white letter or white stripe tires in plastic bags, it is important they be stored or stacked "white-to-white" and "black-to-black" to prevent staining the white rubber. The black rubbers used on the inside and outside sidewalls of white letter and white stripe tires are compounded differently. The black sidewall uses standard rubber, while the tire's "white" side uses a top layer of non-staining black rubber over the white to prevent oils in the tire from migrating into the exposed white rubber and discoloring it. Stacking all tires "white sidewall up" will allow the oils from the black sidewall to migrate into the white rubber.
• Place the tires in a cool, dry location. It is better to place tires in a dry basement than outdoors or in a hot garage or attic. The basement temperatures will tend to remain cooler and more stable, while outdoor, garage and attic temperatures will often become hot and face daily fluctuations in temperature.
• Keep the tires away from sources of ozone. Electric motors that use contact brushes generate ozone. Keep your tires away from the furnace, sump pump, etc.

While tires will age somewhat regardless of what precautions are taken, these procedures will help slow the process compared to not doing anything.

I'll also add that you should stack them horizontally, it prevents any load from being placed on the sidewalls.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #7
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

I bought two of those wheel - stackers from CT. Best investment ever @ 19.99 each on sale.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
Bling5Series
Ultimate Driving Machine

I also heard that you could just store the tires in a room with stable temperature...the other question, I have is, Is it better to store the rims and tire seperately? or deflated? Any advice would be great.
Bling5Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #9
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Leave them mounted, inflated.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: