Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-13-2005, 10:50 AM   #16
sirex
King Sirex

yeah, i was just wondering if perhaps he was a member and just didnt think about it (it happens)
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:17 AM   #17
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

for such a short distance I would just drive it, unless the car LOOKS unsafe, is illegally modified, and is spewing smoke from the exhaust pipe
Old 12-13-2005, 11:21 AM   #18
AlpWhitE46
is a pimp

Send a message via MSN to AlpWhitE46
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
for such a short distance I would just drive it, unless the car LOOKS unsafe, is illegally modified, and is spewing smoke from the exhaust pipe
well...he does have a FART CAN exaust...so attention will definately be attracted...plus considering hes a newb stick driver...
AlpWhitE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:59 PM   #19
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

I've driven much farther distances than that with plates off another car. Just don't be a dumbass.

Also, Tom (JazzM) drove around for a while without proper plates, lol.

If you're not being a dumbass, and have someone following you (close but not too close) you should be fine.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #20
Wannabe
Northwood.

CAA gold is 200km free per tow... trust me.. i am a usual! haha

CAA basic is like 5 or 20 km
2002 Dodge Durango SXT
1985 BMW 325e
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1995 Nissan Altima SE
1994 Mazda MX-6 RS
1984 Buick Riviera
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:37 PM   #21
Jari
4th Gear Member

ok if you drive it, DO not put some other vehicles plates on it. The fine is bigger then no plates at all. Instead just tape a piece of paper roughly the size of a 10 day on the front window. I'm pretty sure you can still get insurance for the car so the only fine would be no plates. Either that or pay the 100 bucks for a tow.
Just for the record, most insurance policies on an existing vehicle, will cover you if you purchase a second one (ie a winter beater) for up to 30 days. It's great because when I buy a used car, i just get a 10day and drive it home under my other car policy.
Jari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:10 PM   #22
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle
Use the plates you have! You are allowed to use you valid plates as a 10 day plate (as long as you have insurance), so IF you get pulled over, just say you didnt know about the "unfit" deal. The most you can get driving with unproper plates it $500 if i remember, and thats if the cop is a real ass!
How are you allowed when you say you might get a fine of $500? I've never heard of this being legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle
Another "free" way of towing is with a tow rope, and long as you have 2 ropes hooked beteen the 2 cars, its legal (and you must have working brakes, lights, etc). I know because i have been pulled over while towing like that!
In order for this to be legal... BOTH cars MUST have insurance on them and yes.. you must have 2 tow ropes for it to be legal.

MY ENGINE SWAP: HERE!

Life Is A Tough Teacher, It Gives You The Test Then The Lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
just do it once, do it right.
Mitch555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #23
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari
just tape a piece of paper roughly the size of a 10 day on the front window.
So what happens when a cruiser pulls up behind you or is driving behind you and see's that you are driving with NO plates on at all. You think he'll let you slide? Hell no. And when he does pull you over he will see that you tried to scam the system by tricking police in believing that you have a 10 day permit taped to your windsield but it's a piece of white paper. It's not a good idea to do it this way.

Just get a friend that has CAA and tell him to get you a free tow. He has to be with you tho and he has to make up some bullshit story that your car broke down when he was with you.

MY ENGINE SWAP: HERE!

Life Is A Tough Teacher, It Gives You The Test Then The Lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
just do it once, do it right.
Mitch555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:54 AM   #24
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover
CAA is a good idea but of no use to him. You need to wait 5 days from the registration date to be able to use it.
I didn't used it not even 24 hours after I signed up. I even asked if I could do so when I called to register to be sure.
Antz_Marchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:51 PM   #25
Jari
4th Gear Member

[quote=Mitch555]So what happens when a cruiser pulls up behind you or is driving behind you and see's that you are driving with NO plates on at all. You think he'll let you slide? Hell no. And when he does pull you over he will see that you tried to scam the system by tricking police in believing that you have a 10 day permit taped to your windsield but it's a piece of white paper. It's not a good idea to do it this way.

What I was trying to say was IF you're going to drive it illegally, do it with the least risk of getting pulled over. If you have fake plates a cop behind you will more then likely punch the plate into his computer and realize quickly it's not the right vehicle. In ontario, the 10 day gets taped to the FRONT window and there is no way a cop can see it to key it in.

The right way is get it towed no doubt about it.
Jari is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: