Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-10-2005, 01:09 AM   #31
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

I turn off and on once a day. Last thing I do before I go to bed - switch off machine - After work, I turn it on... It doesn't sound like much, but it actually did make a difference on my electricity bill of like $5... so I continue to do so... $5 isn't much, but hey - If I don't have to pay it, why should I?

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:51 PM   #32
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
this computer show i used to watch explained it like this.

If you rarely use your computer like once every few days and for no more then a few hours at a time you should turn off the computer.

But for your average user like me and all of you its best to leave on all the time and just reboot every once in a while.

One of the main reasons is its best to leave the computer on all the time for the mechanical/ moving parts of the computer. If you use it alot but turn it off after every use, your putting alot of extra wear on the moving parts by having them start and stop all the time. Same way its bad to make constant short trips in a car, it creates excessive wear on it.

Plus if you have precautionary things like surge protectors and back ups of important files your fairly safe. as for things like your hard drive and all that, yes it is good to let your computer go into standby or hibernation, you save electricity and its less stress on your system especially if you let it run all the time.

My computer is on all the time as i use it alot. the only time i ever turn it off is during real bad thunder storms or if im going on for a few days and wont be using it.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #33
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Keeping in mind that most windows users unknowingly have their harddrives set to shutdown anyway after x minutes of inactivity. You could shutdown your computer like a million times before you have any sort of problems. The only real part that would fatigue is the power supply, and that would take a lot of reboots.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: