Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-04-2002, 10:35 PM   #16
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair

Actually....LSD was available on the 325's from 92-94, and 92-95 for the 318's, it was just an option very few people chose, so there AST/ASC+T became available on the 94 325 and 96 318 I believe.
so that means 95 325i got the traction control too?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:46 PM   #17
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally posted by thinair

Actually....LSD was available on the 325's from 92-94, and 92-95 for the 318's, it was just an option very few people chose, so there AST/ASC+T became available on the 94 325 and 96 318 I believe.
My appologies for giving out false info

Anyways, e46_lover, Auto tranny bimmers on the E36s came with a button to the left of the shifter. You can choose A(auto) or M(manual mode). If you notice, the shifter goes like this: 1,2,3,D,N,R,P.
Bascially it allows you to stay in which ever gear you have selected (1,2,3,D) or even allows you to start on the gear you left it in (1,2,3,D) if you're on M mode. Default is A mode which acts like auto tranny. If you're in A mode and for example you start from a stop but you left the shifter in third gear...the car will start on 1st gear working its way up to 2nd and 3rd. However, from what I've been told and I believe it b/c I've tried it before, if you're in A mode and you start from 3rd, this is known as the "sport mode", this mode has the tendency of shifting later. This means it wants to go to the higher rpms first before it shifts rather than when you're in D (economic drive) on A mode. Keep in mind that the M mode is not like a real manual tranny b/c there's still the torque convertor. So even if you shift from 1st to 2nd in M mode, it'll shift like how any automatic tranny will.

It's fun to use the M mode when you want to do some performance driving, but I suppose that wear and tear may become apparent if you play w/the shifter too much on an auto tranny.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:49 PM   #18
330DTM
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover

so that means 95 325i got the traction control too?
Hm guessing from what Thinair means I suppose that some 94 and definitely the 95 325 models have the traction control. Either way you can easily spot if the car is equipped w/traction control or not. Look for a "TRACS" or "ASC" button on the bottom consele right in front of the shifter gate. Or you can look at the dashboard and inbetween the Tachometre and Speedo, you'll see this small rectangle box w/an icon that looks like a circle w/an exclaimation mark inside it.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:58 PM   #19
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
Or you can look at the dashboard and inbetween the Tachometre and Speedo, you'll see this small rectangle box w/an icon that looks like a circle w/an exclaimation mark inside it.

hmmm on my car it is different it is a yellow light with ACS written on it under the m logo

P.S. I dunno I never drove auto bmw but I drove different auto car, and you can shift up and downshift auto gear box, still engine braking is way better in manual. It is more controlable and it takes some time for auto tranny to undestand that you downshifted.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:04 PM   #20
330DTM
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga

hmmm on my car it is different it is a yellow light with ACS written on it under the m logo

P.S. I dunno I never drove auto bmw but I drove different auto car, and you can shift up and downshift auto gear box, still engine braking is way better in manual. It is more controlable and it takes some time for auto tranny to undestand that you downshifted.
Yeah, I might be mixing the sybmbol up w/the one on my Volvo, but i'm 50% sure that on non M's it looks like that.

You do have a point about downshifting and the smoothness auto lacks, but I found a trick to it. If your in M mode, and say you're crusing on 3rd and you want to downshift to 2nd. All you do is just as you shift the gear, blip the throttle and it'll match right on (takes practice though, sometimes you might rev too much or too little). If you're braking for a corner and you want to downshift, you can use your right heel to blip on the thorttle (again takes practice to match the revs properly) and the revs will match. My point here is not to say auto is the same as manual, b/c isn't. I still prefer manual, but just sharing some tricks I experienced w/my 328. Yes it's maybe not too good on the tranny, but I didn't do it everytime I drove, only once in a while so I suppose damage done isn't a whole lot.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:07 PM   #21
SickFinga

heh I know that trick, just press the gas pedal to make downshift faster.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:11 PM   #22
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
wow I am an idiot... I wrote left foot instead of led...

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:13 PM   #23
330DTM
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
heh I know that trick, just press the gas pedal to make downshift faster.
It's so fun to do that eh?

But it sucks when you gas too much and then the car jerks forwards or if you gas too little and it wants to jerk backwards b/c you reved it less than what the rpms supposed to be at when it engages to a higher gear. hehe
Old 12-04-2002, 11:35 PM   #24
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
Quote:
My mom's car is auto also, but it has LSD, which really helps in the snow. Winter tires are a must though. If the car still slides around, toss some dead weight in the trunk (ex. 100lbs).
actually i did just buy last friday 2 sand bags (60kg) and threw them in the trunk and i've been doing that for the last 2 winters and it makes a huge difference. but i'm probably the only one who does that. and winter tires i have as well from last year. still like brand new. pilot alpins

btw i know that some coupes 97 and up came with LSD but i dont think it was in every car but more of an option. and i'm not sure that any sedans came with and LSD other then the M3. but then again what do i know
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:39 PM   #25
Furious
BMW again.

track control is sometime a bad thing so i hear a buddy with a 328 couldnt even move on a hill so he was basically stuck untill he turned his dsc off.
as for driving w/o track control like s-finger said. be very carefull on the turns while accelerating. also if its manual, make sure not to downshift into a really high RPM ,, youll find your rear end facing the wrong way.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 01:12 AM   #26
Lil'Smoothie

I get by no problem w/out tractin control in the winter. RWD is hellafun especially in the snow, u just gotta provide yourself with extra travel time to be safe. Get snow tires also. The only trouble i've ever had would be trying to get up hills in the snow when at a light. It is near impossible to take off when stopped at a light on a hill when theres snow. The back end just slides like whoa and its bad for your clutch with all the wheelspin
Old 12-08-2002, 01:57 AM   #27
AlpWhitE46
is a pimp

Send a message via MSN to AlpWhitE46
in winter time if u dont have traction control its best if u have a manual....or automatic, just place it into 2nd or 3d gear, and problem solved.
AlpWhitE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 02:34 AM   #28
330DTM
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil'Smoothie
The only trouble i've ever had would be trying to get up hills in the snow when at a light. It is near impossible to take off when stopped at a light on a hill when theres snow. The back end just slides like whoa and its bad for your clutch with all the wheelspin

Yeah that situation is a pain, but the key is to always maintain enough mommentum as you go up hills or roads that incline. Because if you don't have enough momemtum, even with traction control or not, it's not gonna help you get over the hill. In your case, starting from a dead stop on a steep uphill, that is definitely tough! If there were no cars behind me, i'd reverse it a bit till it's not so steep and then drive forwards that way I have momemtum

The only reason why you would place it in 2nd or 3rd gear is for starts, to prevent excessive wheelspin and whatnot. I usually just feather with the throttle if I'm too lazy to start on 2nd gear.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:43 AM   #29
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates

the good thing about traction control is you'll know when the wheels are slipping. this way, you can adjust your driving to the road conditions. i always leave mine on, but when i get stuck, i turn off the t/c and start the rocking motion which always gets me out. u definitely want winter tires though.... my pilot alpins are in great condition and its my 3rd season with them....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: