Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #16
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,909


The funniest is when people come in claiming they didn't do a transaction (at the machine), and we send in a request for the photos taken from the in-machine camera. It's 50% of the time themselves (drunk, often), and 35% it's their spouse/friend stealing from them. Only in that 15% is it actually fraud, haha.

Just like violence, the criminal is always someone you're intimate with.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #17
Betray
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Richmond Hill
Posts: 4,353
Send a message via ICQ to Betray Send a message via AIM to Betray Send a message via MSN to Betray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
The funniest is when people come in claiming they didn't do a transaction (at the machine), and we send in a request for the photos taken from the in-machine camera. It's 50% of the time themselves (drunk, often), and 35% it's their spouse/friend stealing from them. Only in that 15% is it actually fraud, haha.

Just like violence, the criminal is always someone you're intimate with.
lol thats crazy
Betray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:42 PM   #18
crusher
OMGHI2U2
 
crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The boonies
Posts: 3,373
Send a message via Skype™ to crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex
yup thats exactly what I do now...

I take my visa everywhere, and leave my debit at home. I only use debit from TD bank machines.. I highly doubt anyone would **** with those machines (or do they??? that takes balls for sure)

with visa, any fraudulent activity and your 100% covered by the bank.. even with debit you are covered but with debit its your money, with visa its the banks hahaa
A couple of guys was arrested about a month ago right at the TD building where I was working. From what I heard the cops was staking out the machines for a couple of days till they catch the culprits.

And ya my debit card was automatically frozen too about two months ago due to fraud. I'm 100% certain it's one of the universal bank machines that I used. And man, my limit was 1000 per day so the bastards deposited 2000 and took out 1000 from my account. Thank got to fraud protection.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 PM   #19
jeffrie
Addict
 
jeffrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buckingham
Posts: 2,251
So.... did you keep the loot as in the card reader?
LOL.....
__________________
"They say ignorance is bliss..... I don't know what the Fu*k that means but I'm pretty happy". Ricky Trailer Park Boys.


Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:18 AM   #20
lvan
6th Gear Member
 
lvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Location
Posts: 5,237
Send a message via MSN to lvan
They deposited nothing . They just put an empty envelope and took the cash. madafakrz
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:10 AM   #21
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member
 
Understated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: location location
Posts: 9,955
any1 know how old u need to be to get a credit card....? and what the general limits are etc? because at least with my bank account if i have a large amount in there their more lenient as to how many transactions i can do...whereas with a credit card...how do i prove i'm not a risk in having high limits
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:11 AM   #22
real468
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 249
Whats the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher
A couple of guys was arrested about a month ago right at the TD building where I was working. From what I heard the cops was staking out the machines for a couple of days till they catch the culprits.

And ya my debit card was automatically frozen too about two months ago due to fraud. I'm 100% certain it's one of the universal bank machines that I used. And man, my limit was 1000 per day so the bastards deposited 2000 and took out 1000 from my account. Thank got to fraud protection.
They did this to my account too. The part I dont get at all is why the bother putting any money in your account. This seems to be the biggest indicator that someone else was in your account. I checked my account one day and theres like 2300$ More than what i know i have it made it so obvious or is that the point? do they want you to know their messing with your account?
real468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:00 AM   #23
bimmer_02
Picture Me Rollin'
 
bimmer_02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 377
Question: Mystical, What do you mean by use your credit card everywhere? What makes it saffer?

Isn't a credit card easier to steal money off?

I have both, so i'd like to know why you say use credit card everywhere, as i have an assumption in my head that credit cards are more dangerous ....

thanx
soran n
__________________
bimmer_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:09 AM   #24
daytona
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,715
The worst possible usage of a CC or Debit card is those small portable units in mom and pop stores...those ATM machines are not regulated and if a dispute between user and provider is started the companies that own the machines will likely win because its up to the user to provide information that states the mistake,and its not a transaction slip either..you need lawyers to resolve their actions.Most people is not worth it going thru lawyers...I know that a few months back a few of these indi ATM owners were charged with fraud...not only was the machine providing a service it was scanning and recording the users info..by the time the account owner new what happend the money was withdrawn and the ATM machines disappeared from the assigned locations..be carefull when using non banking machines and always cover the PIN numbers when entering.
daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #25
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman87
any1 know how old u need to be to get a credit card....? and what the general limits are etc? because at least with my bank account if i have a large amount in there their more lenient as to how many transactions i can do...whereas with a credit card...how do i prove i'm not a risk in having high limits
If you have a stable (provable) income, age isn't a very vital factor. I personally got my first VISA when I turned 18 (applied by myself and got it), but that mainly because I had a high enough income.

You will not have a high limit right off the bat, in fact expect $500 or $1000 until you're working full-time. This is to test you out; if you abuse it, you're dead later on. This is how they put themselves in little risk.

Also, we don't allow a high amount of transactions because you have a lot of money, it's just that by offering an incentive for people to keep thousands in their accounts by waving service fees, it's beneficial to the instituion itself (we do make interest off your account).
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:25 PM   #26
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by real468
They did this to my account too. The part I dont get at all is why the bother putting any money in your account. This seems to be the biggest indicator that someone else was in your account. I checked my account one day and theres like 2300$ More than what i know i have it made it so obvious or is that the point? do they want you to know their messing with your account?
Empty envelope deposit. Deposit as much as they want, and withdraw as much as the machine will allow. Your account is only inflated for the time until the time they check the envelopes (next business day).

By the time you see your account history, they are long gone with the cash.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:28 PM   #27
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_02
Question: Mystical, What do you mean by use your credit card everywhere? What makes it saffer?

Isn't a credit card easier to steal money off?

I have both, so i'd like to know why you say use credit card everywhere, as i have an assumption in my head that credit cards are more dangerous ....

thanx
soran n
Credit companies offer FAR more security than banking institions. Our fraud investigations department (the personal accounts sector) is pitiful compared to VISA or Mastercard, and resolutions can take months, or may not even be successful. Credit companies have staff working 24/7 to monitor transactions and they offer instant refunds often.

A clear example of this is gas stations. They much more often scam debit cards, because they know VISA would be on their asses within a few days, with legal implications. Banks aren't nearly as aggressive (no incentive for them to be).
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015