Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-04-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
takeshi
3rd Gear Member

that guy who rejected the governer general's award.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/nationa...ap_051104.html

I have to ask, why does quebec want to seperate from us so badly. I don't understand, what is it that we aren't giving them? Somebody teach me the history of canada.

-I know quebec JOINED canada. If the british won the war, how come there was a place continued to be run by the french? How come it wasn't under british/canadian control? All kinds of people came to canada in the beginning right, i think a bunch of germans did too. how did it end up to be british/french, was the plains of abraham where the fate of canada was decided? where were the americans during this, had they already claimed independence?
-quebec is already exempt from certain canadian rules, right down to no front license plates for example. Nobody else complains about it, but they are still not satisfied?
-does quebec think they can do better as an independent country? what happens if they do seperate?
-does france want to take them in?

Please do not turn this thread into chaos. I realize it is a touchy issue, but I have wondered for a while. I love french canadians. I think it's neat that we are english/french. It is kind of dissapointing that everytime I attend one of those just for laughs things in montreal, whenever somebody says toronto everyone starts boo-ing.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:58 AM   #2
dropped_E30
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
-does quebec think they can do better as an independent country? what happens if they do seperate?
-does france want to take them in?
- they might THINK they will do better as an independent country, but they would still want to use Canada's currency and maintain free trade because they simply do not have a large enough economy to operate as a completely free nation.

- I heard French people hate Quebec cuz they dont consider them to be "real French people". they see them as inferior since the French spoken in Quebec is very slightly different from that spoken in France
dropped_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:43 AM   #3
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Slightly different? Quebec French is harsh and unrefined. France French is soft and well spoken....

Quebec can screw themselves. I was so happy when we moved out of that rat hole 15 years ago...

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
sirex
King Sirex

Think about it this way... why should any province be part of this confederation?

Newfoundland, Alberta, ****ing rich assss provinces yet they contribute so much money to the federal government and very little money is returned to them by the federal government... The same issues we were facing over 100 years ago we are facing today..

Do you know why many provinces did not want to join and unionize and become one nation instead of the way it was before confederation???

Because what was it to them. They figured if they joined majority of the moneys would help the largers provinces. They felt that in parliament their voice would not be heard because the larger provinces had more representatives..

I think the major reason why the Quebecers want to remove themselves is the fact that they feel that their individuality is being lost by being part of this whole..... I mean the whole issue about Quebec (lower canada) and the whole issue surrounding the Brits and the what not was keeping their heritage which they feel is slipping. Furthermore they want more representation..

At this point in time, I dont disagree with them... Infact I dont disagree with any pronvinces. Alberta seperating, Newfoundland seperating, Infact Toronto should sepreate from Ontario as well, we can all be our own soveriegn nations and we dont have to waste our money by an inefficient federal government that we have now.

The fact of the matter is many pronvinces can do better on their own without support from the federal government. Infact they did well on their own way back in the day to begin with. It was Ontario, and all the Elitist brits that wanted to form a unionized nation. They went around making false promises saying that they would pay money and head taxes to the smaller provinces and make it worth it for them to join.

Quote:
I know quebec JOINED canada. If the british won the war, how come there was a place continued to be run by the french? How come it wasn't under british/canadian control? All kinds of people came to canada in the beginning right, i think a bunch of germans did too. how did it end up to be british/french, was the plains of abraham where the fate of canada was decided? where were the americans during this, had they already claimed independence?
You will have to take Canadian History in high school to learn this and just about every question you asked. I took it but my memory is flaky and I dont want to spew incorrect facts on this board. There is alot more to it then meets the eye, and a very deep history for a place that was only really discovered and occupied 300 years ago.

Oh yeah and I just thought Id mention.. The governor general is a symbol of our ties to the British Common wealth. A tie that has been broken for quite some time. Why should a French person of all people accept an award from a Governor General that is appointed by the Majesty of the united kingdom??? Are we not a soverign nation to begin with?? are we still part of the UK?? DO I still pay taxes to the Queen?? Why should anyone accept that away, other then the fact its money?

Last edited by sirex; 11-05-2005 at 01:26 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: