Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > X series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Which SUV?
2001 BMW X5 3.0 36 73.47%
2003 Infiniti QX4 6 12.24%
2001-2002 Lexus RX300 5 10.20%
OTHER(if so please post what) 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2004, 12:48 AM   #46
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Re: Winter Time

Quote:
Originally posted by Jammasterj

The only thing was that going from a Grand Cherokee to the X5...the X5 sure didn't handle well in deep snow...
haha i overheard this guy talking about how he couldn't wait to take his X5 out in the snow....i couldn't help but laugh....

I dunno what you talking about,whenever it snows in NY i always take out my fathers X5 and that thing goes thru snow flawlessly.I guess it all depends on how much snow??
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 01:05 AM   #47
Jammasterj
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jammasterj
Re: Re: Winter Time

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyvadim
I dunno what you talking about,whenever it snows in NY i always take out my fathers X5 and that thing goes thru snow flawlessly.I guess it all depends on how much snow??
It was pretty deep man....with some rocking she would always get out...
but you have to admit that the X5's offroading skils don't hold a candle to the Jeep's which may explain why i had problems in the snow
Jammasterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 01:10 AM   #48
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Re: Re: Re: Winter Time

Quote:
Originally posted by Jammasterj
It was pretty deep man....with some rocking she would always get out...
but you have to admit that the X5's offroading skils don't hold a candle to the Jeep's which may explain why i had problems in the snow
A Jeep is a jeep,thats basic right there but the X5 still has better off road capabilities then the ML and most other SUVs
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 04:00 PM   #49
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

very interesting.

JMJ: well what kinda bugs did your BMW X5 have?

if we DO get an X5 it will be the 01' model because it's close to 40 grand used

otherwyse we're thinking to just go with the infiniti Qx4 as we can get VERY VERY low mileage for the same price...the qx4 also has a warranty to 100 000 clicks while the X5 only has it to 80

and we're aiming for a km range of 70-100 on the x5 while a 0-20 000 km on the qx4
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:06 AM   #50
Jammasterj
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
very interesting.

JMJ: well what kinda bugs did your BMW X5 have?

if we DO get an X5 it will be the 01' model because it's close to 40 grand used

otherwyse we're thinking to just go with the infiniti Qx4 as we can get VERY VERY low mileage for the same price...the qx4 also has a warranty to 100 000 clicks while the X5 only has it to 80

and we're aiming for a km range of 70-100 on the x5 while a 0-20 000 km on the qx4
The X5 is a great car, don't get me wrong...but she did have a few bugs here and there
Most of the problems were with the electrical system. such that any of the window or lock controls on the left side of the car stopped working. or the sunroof switch was faulty, the headlights wouldn't turn off when the car was off and the switch was turned off, and the worst was the tailgate would pop open while you were driving. The actual gate wouldn't swing open but the lock would disengage so that it would be like you hit the button to open your trunk. She had a few problems. Oh and there were 3 recalls on the car as well. I can't remember the first one, the second was about the fuel pump and the third was about the park pin falling into the driveshaft and jamming the gears while you were in motion.
Other than that whole list it was a solid car.
If you can get one that doesn't have those bugs you are set. The thing handled like a sports car in the summer. it would eat up the turns but she had her kinks
Jammasterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:11 AM   #51
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Re: Re: Winter Time

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyvadim
A Grand cherokee is way better in the snow then the X5........Trust me I was in Jordans X5.....
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:24 AM   #52
Understated

wow, thanks JMJ...i will definately look into those things when we go bimmer browsing.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:48 AM   #53
Jammasterj
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
wow, thanks JMJ...i will definately look into those things when we go bimmer browsing.
yeah man no problem!
Old 01-12-2004, 03:09 AM   #54
sonny
6th Gear Member

X5 all the way.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:46 AM   #55
aristo
2nd Gear Member

I know all of you swear by bmw but for the value and options the acura mdx is really good for what you pay for .. standard it comes with alot like leather,traction control,all power options ex windows,locks,moonroof,keyless entry... and since your concerned about milage .. the mdx is really really good in that departmant because essentially its not a real 4wd drive vehicle it only sends power to the back wheels when its feels that the rear wheels are slipping. The acura is also alot cheaper than the bmw too and the resale value is really high for it too.
Try test driving one , theyre pretty peppy for what they are 260hp and 250Tq it's quicker than the inline 6 .. and its just as quick as the 4.4i v8 test drive them back to back and its very similar. I drove my parents 03 MDX in the snow today and it was solid as usual ... brought it to the parking lot for some doughnut fun... just make sure TC is off
i'm not acura biased ... if it were my choice i would have opted for the fx35. But i think the mdx would be a good candidate for your family Suv.
Sorry for the life story
aristo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 04:21 AM   #56
alveoli
1st Gear Newbie

X5 or not

We I was in your shoes not too long ago. I test drove many SUVs and did alot of reading about them (including safety, reliablity, resale value, etc).

At the end I choose the X5 4.4. Personally, I think the 3.0 is a bit sluggish but the 4.4 has just the right punch. Handling is remarkable. Almost as fun as driving my 330CI. For me the key was the safety rating. "Best SUV ever tested".

If you do decide the x5 make sure you test drive both the 4.4 and the 3.0. The gas consumption is a bit more but at the end you get much more value for your money. There are more standard options the 4.4 than the 3.0. make sure you get the sport package.

Also, make sure you keep looking...it took me almost 6 months to find one. I almost bought a 01 with 80K...five minutes before i signed the paperwork, i got a call on an 01 with 49 K !!! for almost the same price!!!

Best of luck.

01 X5 4.4 (Topaz Blue), SP, Audiophile
alveoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:53 PM   #57
BMW ACS S3
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW ACS S3
I have my my friends 4.4ii mufflers which were removed from his 2003 X5 Sport package wit only 1200 miles on it. Tell me if you are interested it is the whole exhaust not just exhaust tips. Easy way to transform your 3.0 to a sport 4.4i.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:46 PM   #58
TiemenT
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to TiemenT
Range Rover all the way

Don't steel Pasta's SIG!

------------------------------------------------
- Range Rover Hamann 5.0 Vogue V8 Sold for M5
- BMW ///M3 CSL
- E60 M5 on April 12th !
TiemenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:02 PM   #59
Understated

hahahah...i remember this thread....we never ended up finding an x5 in the condition we wanted...so we opted for an 02' Rx300
Old 09-11-2005, 02:23 PM   #60
Den.
Roadrash.

Send a message via AIM to Den. Send a message via MSN to Den. Send a message via Yahoo to Den.
Well. You original question asked what the best was for reliability. THAT would be the QX4. Even Consumer reports rated it best vehicle PERIOD for reliability a couple years ago.

Sooo, it depends on what you mean by "best".

If I were looking at X5's I'd probably buy a 5 series wagon as for an "SUV" I'd buy an Excursion diesel. Period. Why? because itt gets 20-22 mpg and isn't cramped like most SUV's.

But I live in the city so wouldn't buy one as there's no reason to as Toronto basically gets NO snow at all. (The one thing I hate about living here actually. LOL)

Now, I WOULD buy the X5 WELL before I'd buy an Infiniti or Lexus (BORING!!!) if that helps.

As for the Range Rover. well, it'd probably break down before you got it home.

Last edited by Den.; 09-11-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Den. is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: