Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-30-2005, 01:57 AM   #1
windwagen
6th Gear Member

V8 vs Cat

Ok, It's not a car race, but a clean kill anyway.

I spent a week at a cottage rental in Sundridge a couple of weeks ago. After a few days of scorching sun, awesome beach and shallow water, perfect for the kids, I notice some heavy whitecap action a few hundred meters off shore. 2 of the 3 kids were napping, so I take my opportunity to rig up my Windsurfer. The board is a 130l Mistral Echo, and my sail is a 9.4m2 Neil Pryde V8 Streetracer (appropriately named). So I blasted around for a couple of hours by myself, doing some chop hops, but with no other windsurfers around, no one to race.

Finally, I see someone on shore launching something with a big blue sail. I get closer and see it's a Hobie Cat catamaran. Maybe a 17 footer? I try to get in position to line up for a race, but the sailors look like they are not interested. I head out again and decide to turn and head in. As I complete the tack (turn around into the wind), I see the Hobie Cat was right behind me and is now smoking right past! Dayam! I pull another quick tack and give chase. The wind is quite strong, so I am planing in no time, but the Hobie Cat is already 500 m away! I've never raced a Hobie Cat before. I think they are fast, but Windsurfers are quick too. It takes a while but I am clearly gaining. I figure to close this deal, I should pass the cat fairly close, but I can't get close, although I am still approaching...those bastards, they see me coming and are heading downwind in an attempt to pick up more speed. Eventually, I do manage to pass them before running out of lake. But they have taken me so far downwind, I have to work hard to sail upwind back to the cottage.

I think I need one of those Hobie Cats for the kids. Can I get a trailer hitch for a 540??

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual

Send a message via MSN to Paul540/m3
Hobie's are stupid fast, I've been on them a couple times before although my primary means of sailing is Lasers.

Nice kill LOL
Old 09-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
windwagen
6th Gear Member

I think the Hobie sailors made a bad strategic error. They should have went upwind to pinch me off. I think the Hobie's upwind speed is better than the Windsurfer. On a broad reach though, the Hobie is toast.

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: