Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-24-2002, 12:47 PM   #1
prophet
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to prophet
Smg Ii?

Does the Sequential Manual Gearbox just let you switch gears by pushing up and down on the shifter "+,-" ?
prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 12:51 PM   #2
1BADBMW
6th Gear Member

it also has 2 pads on the steering wheel like the formula1 cars, which do the same thing '+,-'

--> PARTING OUT E21 320 <--
1BADBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 12:54 PM   #3
prophet
2nd Gear Member

is there any disadvantages? i rather get that then a auto or a manual
Old 11-24-2002, 01:32 PM   #4
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

SMGII doesnt give u the feel of manual, if u love stompin the clutch and shifting..like spirited driving, SMGII might not be for you....but it does make racing easier...

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 02:03 PM   #5
prophet
2nd Gear Member

can you just press the pedal all the way and still shift up and down? I think there is a way to switch between SMG and Auto from a botton
Old 11-24-2002, 04:02 PM   #6
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

yep there is a switch to auto...and yes you can floor it, but it wont shift for you...you will just keep bouncin off the rev limiter....SMGII also has launch control from my understanding, you put it in neutral, floor it, and shift up and it will give the best traction. SMGII shifts in .3 seconds which is hella fast! i would rather get 6spd, if you are on hwy in 6th gear, and want to go to 4th...you have to downshift twice, as where 6spd you just shift right into gear, also 6spd you can put it in N and redline, put it back in gear and do one of those rolling burnouts...hehe...i would take 6spd because its just more fun, but some people disagree..

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Old 11-24-2002, 04:06 PM   #7
prophet
2nd Gear Member

Are the SMGII's in the US? Can you get a test drive?
Old 11-24-2002, 04:08 PM   #8
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by prophet
Are the SMGII's in the US? Can you get a test drive?
SMGII is in north america....SMGI is only in europe though...go for a test drive in both cars, see what you like, come back and post what you think...good luck on your new car!

Old 11-24-2002, 04:10 PM   #9
prophet
2nd Gear Member

"good luck on your new car!" dont you think that they would want to see some type of driver license first?
Old 11-24-2002, 04:17 PM   #10
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by prophet
"good luck on your new car!" dont you think that they would want to see some type of driver license first?
oh, i thought you were looking into E46 M3...dont worry, your not alone...i dont got my license either (1more year to go!)

Old 11-24-2002, 04:24 PM   #11
prophet
2nd Gear Member

im mostly into e34's but i like the e46 M3 coupe i need something like the SMGII where you can have auto but still can have something to race with. thats how i see it by the time i can get a 50,000 doller car i will be in my 20's
Old 11-24-2002, 08:19 PM   #12
prophet
2nd Gear Member

If you have the SMGII if somethign breaks on the engine do you need a special part thats made ONYL for SMGII BMW's

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: