Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-05-2005, 11:14 PM   #16
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTO
massive repairs needs to be quantified. what may seem as massive repairs costs to you may seem insignificant to others. $500? 500k? very subjective.

chances are your home is fine and probably nothing serious...otherwise you wouldn't have put an offer on it.
Subject to SUITABLE financing. I can easily prove that massive repairs are not in my budget!

We had both our parents go through the house and a home inspector will be going through the house before the 16th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman87
congrats man!....as for planting tomatoes and stuff.....u better worry about squirrels and stuff stealin em!....cuz thats what happened to my parents...when we moved into ourp lace they went NUTS..planted EVERY vege in the book including mint leaves and stuff...now all thats left is the mint....everything else got screwed and ruined by various animals and stuff....so now they gave up on the food and we just plant flowers LOL
I have thought of the animals already....I will install a chicken wire fence so those little buggers don't get at my vegtable garden!

Or I will have to sit out in the middle of the night and give them this.....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_6
Congrats Dave!

Welcome to the house owning club. Are you still in the falls or just out side?
Is that a single car garage or double?
I like how it is detacted from the house.
Hey Kev! Nice to see you pop on maX once in a blue moon!

The house is in the Falls. It isn't that far from the house we were just in. And as for the garage....it is a small 1 1/2, but there is room on the property to make it into a double!
Old 06-16-2005, 03:11 AM   #17
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

ATTN!

Future home buyers! If your looking at buying an older home (15 years or older) please check the insulation!

I waved the house that I was going to buy because of Vermiculite insulation in the attic (and it could have been in the walls as well) which we had it tested and it was contaminated with asbestos fibres!

As a heads up a home inspector which we did pay for dosen't check for these things but thank god my father-in-law saw a show about this and we found it during the inspection. Yes it can be contained but why buy a house that may possibly be hard to sell due to contamination. Also if you have it properly removed you have to disclose that it was there and there is no guarantee that it is 100% gone!

Here is a link for more info!
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/iyh/p...nsulation.html

Quote:
When inhaled in significant quantities, asbestos fibres can cause asbestosis (a scarring of the lungs which makes breathing difficult), mesothelioma (a rare cancer of the lining of the chest or abdominal cavity) and lung cancer. The link between exposure to asbestos and other types of cancers is less clear.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #18
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

good thing your inlaws caught it. i have yet to find a home inspector that does what i consider a thorough job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50E30
ATTN!

Future home buyers! If your looking at buying an older home (15 years or older) please check the insulation!

I waved the house that I was going to buy because of Vermiculite insulation in the attic (and it could have been in the walls as well) which we had it tested and it was contaminated with asbestos fibres!

As a heads up a home inspector which we did pay for dosen't check for these things but thank god my father-in-law saw a show about this and we found it during the inspection. Yes it can be contained but why buy a house that may possibly be hard to sell due to contamination. Also if you have it properly removed you have to disclose that it was there and there is no guarantee that it is 100% gone!

Here is a link for more info!
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/iyh/p...nsulation.html
Old 06-16-2005, 05:49 PM   #19
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

M50E30, wow good thing your inlaws saw that show!

I wonder if you had bought that if you'd have any recourse
due to the inpsector not finding it..?

you could always bid on the lot & then demo the house$$$
Old 06-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #20
hioctane
3rd Gear Member

Just so everyone is aware, there may be other building materials present in a house of that age that may contain asbestos. For example, plaster, vinyl sheet flooring, asbestos-cement boards, texture finish over gypsum board or plaster, exterior sheathing materials, concrete leveling compounds, vinyl floor tiles, pipe insulation, boiler insulation and so on. I work for Pinchin Environmental and perform Hazardous Building Material Assessments (mostly for commercial buildings but also for some residential). The Vermiculite you've identifed is most likely mined from Libby Montana and has a trade name of Zonolite. There is really no issue with having the insulation, however, it becomes an issue once disturbed. Of course, your chances of getting asbestosis mostly depends on your exposure (time and quantity). FYI, the percentage of asbestos in contaminated vermiculite is usually <0.5%. As per Reg 838/90 (which dosn't apply to residential properties), materials are considered to be asbestos-containing when the asbestos content is >0.5%. However, studies have shown that airborne levels of asbestos fibres exceed the regulated limit of 0.1 fibres/m3 of air due to the small size of the fibre and the fact that the fibres generally settle at the base of the insulation causing a concentrated dust pile.

Please don't hesitate to pm me if you have any questions or if you need any future assisstance. I also perform indoor air quality assessments and mould investigations. These are also very imporant when looking at buying a home; however, most certified home inspectors should notice any problems.

When retaining a home inspector, make sure they are part of NACHI (the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors) and they have a number of years experience and references.

"I never try anything; I just do it. Wanna try me?"
hioctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:55 PM   #21
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by hioctane
There is really no issue with having the insulation, however, it becomes an issue once disturbed.
That the problem.......I planned on doing work to the house so it would have disturbed the insulation.

Now even if you have that asbestos contaminated insulation professionally removed you still have to disclose that it was there every time that house is sold. Since there is no way to get it 100% removed anyone that is sensitive to it will have a bad reaction. And another downside......cost of removal! $2000 to $15,000 depending on the size of the house (99% of the time if it is in the attic it is in the walls) and don't forget that you have to reinsulate the house.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:06 PM   #22
hioctane
3rd Gear Member

^ you are correct except I don't understand the statement regarding "anyone that is sensitive to it will have a bad reaction" - asbestos exposure does not work that way. Anyways, the most important thing to keep in mind is that other asbestos-containing materials are most likely present in the house and a full assessment should be conducted prior to performing any renovation work.....even if you find another older house without a-c vermiculite you might have other a-c materials present that require the same procedures for removal/disturbance.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:22 PM   #23
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
the most important thing to keep in mind is that other asbestos-containing materials are most likely present in the house and a full assessment should be conducted prior to performing any renovation work.....even if you find another older house without a-c vermiculite you might have other a-c materials present that require the same procedures for removal/disturbance.

I'm shure that most people know about asbestos but not alot are aware of this type of contamination. This will be the next big issue like the Urea Formaldehyde (in the late '70's early '80's).
Old 06-16-2005, 11:38 PM   #24
hioctane
3rd Gear Member

Well, to be honest not a lot of people know much about what materials may contain asbestos but yes, a-c vermiculite was more recently identified. CMHC has some good info (www.cmhc.ca). Most of this material was only used in homes and unfortunatly it will either go unnoticed or left because of the cost. Currently, the Government is not providing financial assisstance like they did with UFFI (and there is no indication that they will). Keep you heads up for glass fibre (fibreglass) as a possible carcinogen and of course mould growth.

You are welcome to visit www.pinchin.com for more information.

Regards.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:08 AM   #25
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
I work for Pinchin Environmental and perform Hazardous Building Material Assessments (mostly for commercial buildings but also for some residential).
So what do you think the cost would be for removal for a small house that has it in the attic and walls?

Quote:
You are welcome to visit www.pinchin.com for more information.
Thanx for the link. This is good write up........
http://www.pinchin.net/newsletters/h...miculite16.htm
Old 06-17-2005, 08:13 AM   #26
hioctane
3rd Gear Member

From my experience, around $15,000 for a house that is $1,500 S.F.; however, the cost will vary depending on construction details (low roof vs. easy access high roof), the type of interior partitions (removal and re-instatement of plaster is more expensive), and the overall condition of the house. The work is quite extensive like you've already mentioned

Old 06-17-2005, 09:36 AM   #27
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

aluminum wiring was another big debate back in the 70s IIRC. while not a health hazard it could be if the wiring caught fire due to excessive electrical load.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: