Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
Simby
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Simby
upgrading car CD deck

Hey. So the sound in my E46 isn't that great in my opinion. Sound ain't powerful, not much bass. It's the stock business CD system. So I went to A&B Sound today to look at the Alpine decks. I'm talking to the salesguy and he asked what car I was installing it for. I told him a 2000 BMW. He's like, there's no point in the getting this. You would notice almost no difference. The system in your car should be awesome. So I guess if he's the salesguy and telling me I don't need a new deck, is he right? What's your guy's stock sound system sound like? How to improve without spending tons of cash? A deck for 300-400 with the nice lights and all seemed reasonable but not if it does nothing besides for looking nice.
Simby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

My 94 had the stock system when I bought it..sounded good but like you not alot of Bass. Ripped out the old deck(tape) and put in a CD player with an amp and 2 10" subs. I left the tweeters cause they actually sound not too bad. So I guess what he is saying is if you install a deck throw in a whole new system.....Cause if you want more bass you'll some subs...

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Adding the deck is absolutely pointless in an E46.

The speakers all have retarded impedance ratings, so you can't run them off the headunit amplifier (some people have done it, I wouldn't recommend it), so you're looking at replacing all of the speakers as well as the deck. After that, you'll still have no bass. Now you have to get another amplifier and a subwoofer.

You could just add an amplifier plus subwoofer and tap the signal off the rear speakers, and that would give you the bass you're looking for. If you're going to do anything first, go this route.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:49 PM   #4
Simby
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Simby
Bah. Sounds like too much work and I don't feel like sinking in that much money for it. Thanks for the replies.
Simby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Yup. You're at my stage. I just gave up on the E46.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #6
kornstar369
3rd Gear Member

well...add an rca inverter....buy a cheap amp and a single 12 inch and your set....stock system with more bass....without spending alot of dough.....

go to www.canadiancaraudio.com and check for stuff

c ya
kornstar369 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: