Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-30-2002, 09:14 AM   #1
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Waterpump blew on me today...

I hadn't driven my car for almost a week until today, and I guess because it was sitting in the cold for so long the water pump (plastic) cracked and broke apart as I entered the highway to goto work. I knew something had happened because my temp gauge shot to the red zone in an instant!

Well, I got it towed back to my house, and I am wondering how much I can expect this repair to cost? It's going into the shop tomorrow for fixing. I am not for SURE that it's the water pump, i'm HOPING it's just a cracked hose or something, but looking at my engine bay I see steam and oil/antifreeze all over the thermostat area.

any advice where to look before i take it in tomorrow?

thanks

(i'm not too upset, these things tend to happen when it gets cold out ...i'm used to it )

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 10:30 AM   #2
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Gee, you don't seem to have any luck eh? If it is infact your water pump, a repacement should cost around $300 installed. I recommend taking it to Bimmersport. PM him and see if he has an opening (located in central Mississauga - close to BMW).

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:31 AM   #3
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Don't know about 325 but a brand new water pump for my m44 is 100 bucks.

SL

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:42 AM   #4
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd
Gee, you don't seem to have any luck eh? If it is infact your water pump, a repacement should cost around $300 installed. I recommend taking it to Bimmersport. PM him and see if he has an opening (located in central Mississauga - close to BMW).
yeah the last 2 weeks haven't been the best for my car have they?

I'm going to take a second look at the car since I was discussing the problem with a few people and they think it's a cracked hose, or a hose has just come off somewhere.

*crosses fingers*

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 10-30-2002, 02:22 PM   #5
Ahctuning
2nd Gear Member

The classic E36 rad problem for early 90's e36. The neck of the rad cracked or broke off. Check the hose connection on the top right (driver side) part of the rad.

If it's the waterpump, you wont lose coolant that quick. Same thing goes with a leaking thermostat.

This is my guess as I havent seen your engine bay.
Ahctuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 03:34 PM   #6
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

that sounds likely
the only things I noticed right now are that when i was driving
my temp gauge went from hot to warm then hot to warm, and when i looked under the hood, oil or antifreeze was all over the smaller hoses around the vanos area/fan area.
When my car was taken to the shop, there was coolant everywhere.

i hope it's just a cracked neck or hose though, i can get those fixed up really easily and inexpensively.

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 10-30-2002, 04:59 PM   #7
328power
GAS GUZZLER !!

WELCOME TO THE REPAIR CLUB !

Changed mine a couple weeks ago paid $300
Old 10-30-2002, 07:44 PM   #8
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Yeah, I read in the E36 M3 FAQ by Eurospeed that for earlier versions of M3's, the OBD I's, usually they say you shoudl change it from the plastic water impeller whatever you call it to the metal one.

Last edited by 330DTM; 10-30-2002 at 07:46 PM.
330DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 08:01 PM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
My mom's 525 did the same thing in the summer, I thought it was the water pump, but when I pulled it out, it was fine. I slapped a new thermostat in (even thought the old one seemed ok) and hoped for the best. Turned out it was only the thermostat. Too bad a couple months later the radiator cracked at one of the plastic fittings....damn radiators with plastic ends...
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 08:04 PM   #10
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
Yeah, I read in the E36 M3 FAQ by Eurospeed that for earlier versions of M3's, the OBD I's, usually they say you shoudl change it from the plastic water impeller whatever you call it to the metal one.
The weird thing with that is that my mom's car (92 525) had a metal impeller in it and apearently all/most the m50's had plastic impellers in them. We didn't buy the car with many km's on it, and the original owner had no record of it being changed so I assume it's the one that came with the engine. I went to BMW to pick up a new water pump thinking mine was shot, and they gave me one with the plastic impeller (which I returned cause I didn't need).
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: