Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-30-2002, 04:21 PM   #1
Kal
maxRealtor

Send a message via MSN to Kal
a/m button???

what does the a/m button do

i have a 94 318...auto....

i wanna know what the a/m button is for

according to what i've been told....the m button is for manual....so basically u can drive ur car kinda like it was standard...from gear 1..gear 2 .. gear 3 and then i guess it goes into D.....

if what i'm sayin is correct..isn't that bad for ur tranni? i mean shifting like that in an auto car...?

kal
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 04:47 PM   #2
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Basically how I understand it is
if you're in [M]anual mode, it stops the tranny from down shifting or up shifting to another gear. Basically it'll stay in the gear you have it in and wont change until you change it. It's good for winter time and going up steep inclines. In winter I like to drive from stop to go in 2nd gear instead of first so i dont get any wheel spin, and I use the [M] mode alot for that because i dont want it to downshift back to first.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 07:09 PM   #3
Gamite

its pretty much useless if you ask me.. I never use it.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:20 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
it's good if you're towing a trailer too (gasp) it allows you to engine brake instead of dragging the brake. But then again, you can do that with any auto tranny now that I think of it...

It also locks out the torque converter at certain rpm's for better throttle response.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 08:03 PM   #5
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Yup, I had it on my 328i.
It's used to leave the gear without forcing it to shift automatically when you're on M mode.

Though, I did abuse it at times. When I was approaching corners and exiting them quickly, I often used the M Mode. Say i'm in 3rd, as I approach a quick corner, I brake and right while i'm braking, my heel will tap on the gas as I downshift the gear to 2nd to rev match. It really does sound like a heel toe downshift and no jerking at all, as opposed to if you downshift and don't gas it.
That's why i call it the Fakey Heel Toe Downshift.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: