Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-22-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
euro_rider
2nd Gear Member

Need Your Opinion

Well i looked at a BMW 318 is today, for $5000, the catch is that the body has 290,000km and the engine was rebuild 30,000km ago. the body is perfect with fresh paint no rust. the only thing from stopping me from buying it is the 290 000km on the body. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?????
euro_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
Miguel
...Delt Smash

if the body is straight, the paint was done properly, the guy has receipts for the motor rebuild, and you get it checked out (incl. car fax, compression test, etc.) why not?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
jeffrie
Addict

Get it checked out but their pretty bullet proof even at high milage.
Maybe post your location to us all so someone will refer you to a good BMW wrench to look it over for ya.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
euro_rider
2nd Gear Member

Im located in mississauga Cawthra/Dundas, the car is located in Brampton Torbram/Bovaird,, any good bmw wrenches around?????
Old 02-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
sirex
King Sirex

290,000 km is alot of mileage, but on the body? Will it really affect anything? The car wont just fall apart, its metal. If there was alot of rust then I could understand but if there isn't sounds pretty safe to me...?
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #6
euro_rider
2nd Gear Member

this is the exact ad from autotrader
Year: 1992
Make: BMW
Model: 318IS
Model Detail:
Price: $5,500
Mileage: ------- km
Date: 2/22/2005
Ad Type: Private
Comment: Manual, fully loaded, Kenwood CD, black/black leather, cert., new paint, M3 skirts, pager w/remote start, Biltsteins, Bremos, absolutely NO RUST or DENTS. Rims are extra. $5,50
Old 02-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
97M3/4
2nd Gear Member

Sounds alright to me if everything checks out. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:02 PM   #8
bimmer318ti
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to bimmer318ti
Ye.. I was there with him when he checkout the car. It seemed allright. The clutch gripped pretty good the suspention was good and the car sounded pretty quiet. The only thing I noticed was that one side of the dashboard was not lighting up (probably a bulb or fuse).. either then that - looked great. Especially the E46 front bumper and the new paint. The car had no rust at all.. (none even underbody)

I personally don't know too much about rebuilding a 318 engine. I don't know if you might start having other problems with the car - and thats always a risk you'll take. I asked about the rear subframe (a common problem in the 92's) and he told me its fine. Most likey tomorrow, we are going to take it to my mechanic - get a compression test done - and have it fully inspected prior to sell.

Good luck Adam with the car

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: