Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
pip328
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to pip328
Engine problem! :(

Hey everyone

Ive put my car into storage for the winter (sitting in a garage, generallly +7 C). I generally turn it on and drive around in it for 5-10 min every 1-3 weeks. Last friday after sufferin with my winter beater, I decided to take the good ol girl out for a spin. I end up crashing at my friend's place and I left my car outside. If you dont remember, friday night was very cold. Atleast minimum of -12C. Anyways, next morning when I turn on the car, the engine seemed to be running really rough and it was kinda shaking. Even just holding the shift knob or accelerating, the knob would shake. It's kind of hard for me to describe this. Anywho lo and behold, the engine light came on.

I drove the car genetly home (didnt go on highways, just 60km/h roads) and parked her back in the garage. I'm planning to tow her to the dealership(budds bmw) to get it inspected.

Does anyone have any possible ideas what may be wrong? I'd like to have some possible ideas so I dont walk in there looking dumb as a bag of hammers.

Thanks a lot,
Adrian
Old 02-22-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Details? Car? Engine? Did you start it up again after it was warm? Maybe the oil you had is way too thick for winter and it wasn't lubing properly.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
pip328
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to pip328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
Details? Car? Engine? Did you start it up again after it was warm? Maybe the oil you had is way too thick for winter and it wasn't lubing properly.
2004 330Ci, only 36,000km on it. I tried once more after I parked it coming from the party (trip was approx 15min) and it still was rough.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:55 PM   #4
tatawaki
2nd Gear Member

can't really help unless you can read that check engine code.

I run my 95 bimmer in -35 weather, it's a little rough when starting if it's not plugged in, but when it's warm (-15 and up), its fine.
http://www.bmwpower.ca
tatawaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
windwagen
6th Gear Member

It needs an Italian tune up... I do those for free!!

It's under warranty anyway...I'd just bring it in and tell them what happenned.

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
jeffrie
Addict

Water in your gas. It's from storing it in a heated gerage (above 0).
humidity condenced all winter long in your tank and froze. get some gasline antifreeze and should clear it out. If you check codes I'd bet that their all simple misfires clyd 1,3,4,ect..

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
BMWF1

First mistake, you shouldn't take it out every few weeks for a 5-10 minute drive, that only does more damage to the engine. the oil is set at the very bottom after sitting for a few weeks your engine is bone dry, and you start it ruff pretty much and it can't handle that, either drive it for about 1 hour 100km/h+ everyweek or don't touch it for 4 months, what your doing is just causing more damage then good, and if you store it for 4 months, i would recommend you drain the oil, then right before you take it out, pour in oil that way the engine is nice and lubed.

Last edited by BMWF1; 02-22-2005 at 07:35 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: