Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #31
SebSter
6th Gear Member

dont know if anyone mentioned it already, but it is also not good for the engine if youre in 5th at like 600 rpm mashing the gas to get it up to speed.. if your friend is that lazy, why is he driving stick, might as well get an auto car!

Old car 1990 325ix. Current car 2000 540i.
SebSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #32
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

^^^^ What he said! A lot of people don't reallize how bad lugging the engine is - major strain on it.

Maybe I'm used to driving motorcycles (where you never skip gears), or maybe its because I learned stick from a driving school, but I still can't see the point in skipping gears. My conception of Smooth driving involves shifting up and down through the gears...
Old 02-12-2005, 08:24 PM   #33
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Manual transmissions have 5 (or 6) gears named sequencially for a reason. I use all 5 upshifting, but usually skip a gear downshift (revmatching) to save clutch life or for fast stopping. I knew an old guy in Poland that you never used second or fourth gear, and he dropped his transmission after 2 years of driving. Opel omega, those things have awesome trannies too. And if you know how to shift properly (proper timing and proper RPM) with no slipping between gears (like ever single person I know does) it does not wear the clutch much at all. I have driven 15k on my clutch so far, and when I had to take the tranny out it looked brand new, on .03 mm in material gone. And I drive fast and do plenty of peelouts.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:47 PM   #34
Trit
3rd Gear Member

Wait, I thought it was the higher the gear, the smaller the size
Trit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: