Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-28-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
theNoiseJava
2nd Gear Member

e30 coilover question

I know this has probably been discussed already but I have some questions on the e30 OBX set-up. I used the search and there were no returns.

I have the coilovers and I'm going to try and put them on next weekend. I know a few people have this set-up so could you please help me out. If you know of a site with pics or if you could take pics of yours that would be great. Someone needs to do a tech article on this.

questions are.....

How much of the front perches should I cut off? How much of the front coilover sleeves should I cut?

On the rear... I know that the sleeve needs to be bored out to fit on the control arm. I don't have a lathe, so what would be the best thing to use?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:05 PM   #2
theNoiseJava
2nd Gear Member

help anybody? I've searched and can't find anything.

e46lover ???
jase ???
Old 12-29-2003, 05:26 PM   #3
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

I didnt install my coilovers, so im not 100% sure. I know u have to weld some perch to something. thats all i can remember....but make sure it is done right, EMPOWERD knows how.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:47 PM   #4
808BMW
2nd Gear Member

Cut off the entire front perch so that it is just the round sturt tube. Leave the bottom stock weld there, and the coilover sleeve should sit on it. Lay down a bead of weld if the sleeve doesn't sit so solid (make sure the weld is strong, that bead will support your whole front suspension).

I think you are supposed to cut an inch or 2 off the sleeves.

I would just drill a hole in the back with a really sharp bit. go slow, make sure it is centered, and go for it

If you mess it up don't blame me though
808BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 07:10 AM   #5
jimmyd1
2nd Gear Member

Talking

Cool deal, another Hawaiian. Hopefully not as ANGRY as mysel. Right on. Where do you live ? What does your car look like? send a link. Lataz
jimmyd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:50 AM   #6
Miguel
...Delt Smash

This is from another member on the board.. do a search for OBX*

Front:
Make sure to remove the shock from the strut housing. Use a cutting wheel to cut most of the lower spring perch, leave a lip from the original perch to be your base, or you can weld something for the coilover to sit on.
The sleeve that come with the kit will be too long. You will need to put the shock back in and install the locking nut. The distance from the perch and the bottom part of the lock nut is the length the sleeve should be. Remove the shock and nut and cut the sleeve that length and then slide it over the strut housing. Then install the shock, the locking nut should now be tight. The sleeve should lift off now.

Rear:
Remove the bolt and washer from the sleeve. The sleeve should be able to fit over the lower control arm's raised nipple, it should fit snug. You will have to bore out the center part of the sleeve for it to fit snugly. Using a lathe would be easiest.
You will now need to drill a hole though the lower control arm and it's nipple, this is for the bolt to go through to screw into the sleeve. Unfortunately, the bolt that comes with the kit is too short so you'll need a longer bolt with the same width and thread pattern. Now put the bolt though the control arm into the sleeve and install the rest of the coilover.

......this is what I've got from researching, I will be doing the install whenever I get time and I'll take pics if it'll help. But that'll be a while. Sounds like a lot of work but just take your time and it'll be worth the money you save.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:18 AM   #7
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Jons OBX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aut_3408.jpg (121.1 KB, 143 views)

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:08 PM   #8
theNoiseJava
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
Jons OBX
Do you have any pics of the perch?

I can just see the coilover.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:22 PM   #9
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
No sorry. Thats the only one I took. I could hardly see the perch.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:22 PM   #10
djtbster
R/C JUNKIE

Send a message via MSN to djtbster
is they a more indepth intructions with pics of this
djtbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:57 PM   #11
djtbster
R/C JUNKIE

Send a message via MSN to djtbster
for the rear, wat do i have to really bore out????

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: