Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-30-2004, 03:49 AM   #1
325isRED
6th Gear Member

Oh Man Do I Need Help...

It all started a few days ago...
I would go out in the morning, and my car wouldnt start... it was your typical battery problem.
I go to Crappy Tire with my cars battery and they said they have never seen a battery fail so quick... so, i buy a new one... 690CCA, 72month warrenty, sounded like a deal, i popped it in... worked great...
But only for that day...

So i hop in my car this morning, turn the ignition, NOTHING, car doesnt even crank...

there was power when i got into the car, my deck turned on, and all the lights and shit tuned on when i turned the key on the "run" possitioin...

But once i turned it to "start" everything dies... NO POWER WHAT SO EVER... not even enough power to power the trunk light...

the car will bost properly! i took my new battery back to crappy tire and they tested it and said it was good and they charged it for me... and that was only good for two starts... i had to use my motomaster portable battery pack to leave my girlfriends not to long ago(and those arent reliable at all)

CAN ANYONE HELP ME??? is my alternator not charging the battery?? how would i go about checking this?

I need my car... Adam
325isRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:34 AM   #2
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Sounds like its the alternator...
Take a hammer and tap the alternator slightly while someone cranks the car......see if it starts that way.

If you wanna check the alternator,then you would have to pull it out and use an Ohmmeter.If you wanna do that i can guide you thru the process.
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:32 PM   #3
325isRED
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyvadim
Take a hammer and tap the alternator slightly while someone cranks the car......see if it starts that way.

If you wanna check the alternator,then you would have to pull it out and use an Ohmmeter.If you wanna do that i can guide you thru the process.
the problem is that it wont even crank...
i have juice before... but once i turn the key to ignite, no crank, nothing, everything just goes dead...
Old 12-30-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isRED
the problem is that it wont even crank...
i have juice before... but once i turn the key to ignite, no crank, nothing, everything just goes dead...
you have an E30 right?

sounds like your alternator is foobared.

The starter motor draws quite a bit of power.. more then 200 amps. so when you switch it on obviously your lights are gonna dim. Pull the alternator out, it's not that hard but you gotta take out the air box then it's a few bolts.. look up in your yellow pages for a "starter/alternator" rebuilder and take it there.. they can test it for you and repair it. Make shure it's a bosch alternator.. if you have the valeo then throw it in the garbage and buy a bosch.

in the mean time go get yourself a battery charger from crappy tire. they are fairly inexpensive. just plug it in on low 1-5 amps over night every night. take it with you to work and what not in case you need a boost

Last edited by Slowered318; 12-30-2004 at 01:47 PM.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:41 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

boost the car, check the voltage at the battery.

You should have atleast 14V.
12V means your altanator is not putting out enought juice. Keep ur voltimeter on and rev the car and see if it moves. Sometimes when the regulator goes it doesn't control how much voltage is being put out.....and when u rev the car the voltage goes up past 14.4, which is not good for your battery. The regulators are on the altenator so you'd have to get it rebuilt.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyvadim

Im sorry,what i meant was tap the starter not the alternator.
Im guessing its either the starter or alternator...
When you try cranking,do you hear a clicking sound everytime you try to crank?
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:24 PM   #7
jeffrie
Addict

could be a short somewere as well

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:32 AM   #8
325isRED
6th Gear Member

ok... well i think i solved the problem... (touch wood)
before i removed anything to make sure that all my electrical connections where secure,
i used contact grease on the battery, and upon examing the posotive boost poll (its an e36, battery in trunk, i am refering to the posotive terminal that one would use when boosting the car) the red cable leading out to the right was fairly loose, i tightened it up... and have not had the problem since, with the car turned on, voltage at the battery reads 14something, and when off 13something... havnt tried while reving it....
Thanks guys...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: