Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-15-2004, 02:13 PM   #16
Lee in Ottawa
5th Gear Member

post your reading then we can give you a more acurate diagnostic.
Lee in Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:31 PM   #17
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle
Its up to $400 now..
I did not have to pay 400. The emissions place didn't notice my exhaust leaking and therefore when I took it to one of my check up places the repair was more than 400 bucks so I got a conditional pass for the price of another test.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:10 PM   #18
Deed
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Ottawa
post your reading then we can give you a more acurate diagnostic.
Good point. Here is the data:

40kmh Curb-Idle
Limit Reading Result Limit Rdng Result

HC PPM 109 76 PASS 300 34 PASS
CO% 0.61 0.59 PASS 1.5 0.11 PASS
NO ppm 1206 2392 FAIL NA NA NA

Sorry about the formatting - the board doesn't seem to allow multiple spaces...
I'm ready to go to Speedy or Cdn Tire unless anyone has better ideas. I just had Charlie tune it up and I am pretty sure he did the O2 sensor (can't recall, sorry, but I'll check). Definitely put in new plugs, did tune-up, etc.

Last edited by Deed; 11-15-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Deed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:47 PM   #19
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

"Charlie" should have tested the o2 sensor, not just replaced it. It either works or it doesn't. "Charlie" didn't do the timing, it's not adjustable. ??

You likely need a cat. You should really spend the $120 to get the diagnostic done to find out what you need. The labour $ counts towards the $450 limit. If you did an O2 sensor, that also counts towards it but you might have a hard time since you did it in the wrong order.

The shop needs to show that replacing the O2 sensor and the cat would make an improvement. To do that, they drill a small hole in the exhaust before the cat, and test pre-post. Then in the estimate to do the cat takes you over $450 dollars you get a conditional pass. The $120 and the O2 sensor, including labour, all count towards exceeding the $450 limit.

I got a conditional pass with a new O2 sensor for $340 bucks, including an oil change and the test / retest. The total emissions work was $270 and getting a cat would have been over $200 more with labour, which is over the $450, so I didn't have to get it done.

This year, anyway.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:58 PM   #20
Deed
1st Gear Newbie

OK, I know I am doing it all bass-ackwards. Here is how it happened!:

1. Sticker came due, so I needed an e-test.
2. Car was running a bit rough, so I figured a tune-up would improve my chances.
3. Got tune-up, replaced O2 sensor as it was gummed up with carbon, got new plugs, etc.
4. Thought I'd take a chance with a dodgy cc, but it should have been replaced.

Now I'm trying not to spend any more $$ than I have to! In fairness, the guy who tuned it up is working from his driveway right now so doesn't have a ton of resources at his disposal.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:54 PM   #21
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deed
OK, I know I am doing it all bass-ackwards. Here is how it happened!:

1. Sticker came due, so I needed an e-test.
2. Car was running a bit rough, so I figured a tune-up would improve my chances.
3. Got tune-up, replaced O2 sensor as it was gummed up with carbon, got new plugs, etc.
4. Thought I'd take a chance with a dodgy cc, but it should have been replaced.

Now I'm trying not to spend any more $$ than I have to! In fairness, the guy who tuned it up is working from his driveway right now so doesn't have a ton of resources at his disposal.
Charlie is one of the best BMW mechanics in this area, so i would trust whatever he does...
You can get an E-test done under the table for $150-200, but you might spend less on just replacing the cat. Dont bring the car just anywhere, i know a very good place for E-tests, it very close to Charlie's, and my shop...Dixie & 401...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: