Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-08-2004, 02:11 PM   #1
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Buying used wheels over the internet

ACK!!! I know better then to buy wheels without seeing them and having them spun on a machine. I've been looking for some time for a set of 18" M-parallels and now have found a set........... but they are in another country (Sanford, Florida)............. thus a billion miles away. Price is good, owner says they are mint off a 2000 740i. I've even considered trying to pay someone to look at them on my behalf, but how well does one know a stranger........ still some risk there. Little voice is saying to let it go.......... wait. Thing is I've been waiting a long-ish time, and this has been the only bite. I want original OEM M-parallels. Toronto Canada........... have cash, but can't find these wheels locally or from someone I trust.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Is this guy on another board where you can find out his reputation? Is it one of those deals that sound too good to be true? Maybe go through Paypal. I don't know what protection they can offer but whatever you do don't send a check or money order.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:41 PM   #3
duffy325
4th Gear Member

What vehicle are you going to be putting them on if you don't mind me asking? The reason I say is if its an e36 you will have to buy a replica set anyway as the oem parallels have a different offset and won't fit.
duffy325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
Miguel
...Delt Smash

OK, here's your best bet. Take it from me... Im a 100% certified rim whore.

#1 Doesn't matter what they pay with, they can screw you. So you might as well go with Money order to cut on fees.
#2 GET FEEDBACK! ask around on whatever forum they are on to see who has done business with them.
#3 Get them to balance the wheels and either a) take pics during balancing or b) some places print out a balance sheet with specs.. get that and scan it.
Not many sellers will do this but I do it to all rims I ship out. I'd rather refund money then send out a bad product since no amount of $$ is worth my reputation.
#4 AVOID UPS OR FEDEX!!! they both rape you on charges and more importantly they will toss your package like a frisbee. I have heard good things about Forwardair.com ...thats the company that Im going with to ship my AC Schnitzer rims to the states.

Last edited by Miguel; 11-08-2004 at 02:45 PM.
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:55 PM   #5
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Thanks,

It''s for an E30 M3. So just need the hub adaptor.

I've asked the guy for references. We'll see how he reacts. Just can't seem to find these anywhere.

Thanks for the input. Reality is that I don't think I'm going to do it. Price is good but not if they are screwed.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:29 PM   #6
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer
Thanks,

It''s for an E30 M3. So just need the hub adaptor.
You don't need to buy adaptors. Find 4 front 18" M-Parallel's off of an E39 540i and they are a direct fit........no fuss.....no muss!
Old 11-08-2004, 09:56 PM   #7
jim s
2nd Gear Member

M50E30 is absolutely right

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50E30
You don't need to buy adaptors. Find 4 front 18" M-Parallel's off of an E39 540i and they are a direct fit........no fuss.....no muss!
A few years back, I bought some used 5-series rims as winter rims for my
E30-M3

..for a brief 2 month period, I drove the M3 in Dec/Jan. And I wanted the
safety and traction.

They worked like a charm. No spacers. I still have them in the corner of
my garage, collecting dust.

jim s
jim s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:33 PM   #8
Ryousuke
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ryousuke Send a message via AIM to Ryousuke
if possible do a credit card transaction you will be able to get your money back with that. Ask for CASH ON DELIVERY ask him if he'll do it thats the safest thing for you... tell him to mark off so the postal service doesn't accept cheques and you are set. That is the SAFEST thing you can do for your self COD ... ask him that but then again if he ships you 4 empty boxes you will have to pay upfront and then open them and you'll be out of money ... unless he doesn't check off accept cheque and then if they are bad shape or not there you can cancel your current Cheque .... ask the person if he is willing to COD
Ryousuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:25 AM   #9
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I wish........... I can't even find a staggered set !!! I've been looking for either the M-parallels in 18" of a 740i or the 17" mesh off a 540i or 528i sport. The gods so far have not been kind to me in finding a set of 18" at all. As for the 17", things just haven't worked out there either. Like it's not ment to be. No smiles on this end of the planet. I just have to be patient I guess................... maybe start having a few to keep the spending monster at bay until the spring rolls around.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:43 AM   #10
1QuickE30

Get feedback if he's an eBayer or a member of another board. Also ask for his address and telephone number and driver's license. The address and driver's license is for bluff, make it sound like you have a way of checking him out. You should call the telephone number he gives you to make sure it's legit.

There's not a lot of buyer's protection out there but whatever you do, do not pay by money order. I always use paypal and it already saved my butt once. I filed a dispute once and got my money back.
1QuickE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:14 AM   #11
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer
I can't even find a staggered set!!!
You can't run a staggered set. The rear wheels are too wide for the E30 M3's........thats why you have to find 4 front wheels.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:40 PM   #12
Ryousuke
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ryousuke Send a message via AIM to Ryousuke
do COD... cash on delivery. He will have to ship out the items for you first and once the mail man gets to your house with 4 boxes its only then when you pay .
Ryousuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:49 AM   #13
digital
1st Gear Newbie

Find the car, then just buy the rims!

Rims. Don't buy them online. Paypal won't cover your a$$ neither will any freight company or cash transfer service. They all promise 'safety' then they get you with these little details so you claim is void... must file after 30 days, before 30 days must have this, that and the other...

Here's a safer solution... Look for the rims from a used car dealer! Find the car that has the rims you want then offer to buy just the rims. Some of these used car guys will sell you the shirt off there back during a slow week. Most of them don't care about the rim style and will slap on any replacements.

I've purchased rims and caps from used car guys and it worked out good for both of us!
digital is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: