Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-10-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual

Send a message via MSN to Paul540/m3
Smoked Tailights/Corner? Legal?

Is it legal to smoke your tailights and front corner signal lights? Do cops typicallly hassle you if you have it done? With the tail lights is there a difference if the entire tailight is smoked of just the signal(orange portion)?
Any info would be appreciated
thanx
-Paul
Old 11-10-2004, 01:51 PM   #2
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul540/m3
Is it legal to smoke your tailights and front corner signal lights? Do cops typicallly hassle you if you have it done? With the tail lights is there a difference if the entire tailight is smoked of just the signal(orange portion)?
Any info would be appreciated
thanx
-Paul
http://192.75.156.68/DBLaws/Statutes...sh/90h08_e.htm
Check Part 6, Section 62.

Some pertinent clauses...

Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

Strength of lamps

(6) Lamps on the front of a motor vehicle shall be so constructed, located, arranged and adjusted that when lighted as required by subsections (1), (2) and (3) they produce under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible to the operator of the motor vehicle any person or vehicle on the highway within a distance of 110 metres ahead of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (6).

Attachment that affects lamps prohibited

(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),

(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or

(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

Parking lights

(20) A motor vehicle, other than a commercial motor vehicle, while standing upon a highway at the times that lights are required by this section for the vehicle may, in lieu of the lighting equipment specified in this section, show one light carried on the left side of the vehicle in such a manner as to be clearly visible to the front and rear for a distance of at least sixty metres and to show white to the front and red to the rear of the vehicle; provided that the light shall not be displayed while the motor vehicle is in motion. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (20).
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #3
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual

Thanx, but what about signal lights? as i only plan to smoke the signal lights not the entire lights neither in the front or back
Old 11-10-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
Miguel
...Delt Smash

no more illegal than drive-by's, home invasions, and drug deals.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:01 PM   #5
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
no more illegal than drive-by's, home invasions, and drug deals.
LOL thanx Miguel, so i take it they are not legal? or are they?
shit i am so confused i keep getting different answers all the time
Old 11-10-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul540/m3
LOL thanx Miguel, so i take it they are not legal? or are they?
shit i am so confused i keep getting different answers all the time
HTA - more...

*...Signalling turns and stops

Signal for left or right turn

142. (1) The driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway before turning to the left or right at any intersection or into a private road or driveway or from one lane for traffic to another lane for traffic or to leave the roadway shall first see that the movement can be made in safety, and if the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to make the movement. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (1).

Signal when moving from parked position

(2) The driver or operator of a vehicle parked or stopped on the highway before setting the vehicle in motion shall first see that the movement can be made in safety, and, if in turning the vehicle the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement, shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to make the movement. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (2).

Mode of signalling turn

(3) The signal required in subsections (1) and (2) shall be given either by means of the hand and arm in the manner herein specified or by a mechanical or electrical signal device as described in subsection (6). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (3).

Requirements for signalling device

(6) A mechanical or electrical signal device shall clearly indicate the intention to turn, shall be visible and understandable during day-time and night-time from the front and from the rear of the vehicle for a distance of 30 metres, and shall be self-illuminated when used at any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (6)....*

More...there are not only signal lamps, but stop lamps too!!!

*...Signal for stop

(8) The driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway before stopping or suddenly decreasing the speed of the vehicle, if the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by such stopping or decreasing of speed, shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to stop or decrease speed,

signalling device

(b) by means of a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall emit a red or amber light and which shall be actuated upon application of the service or foot brake and which may or may not be incorporated with one or more rear lamps. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (8)...*

So, do your smoked lamps qualify???

Read the HTA CAREFULLY, and decide for yourself if they are kosher.

As long as they are visible at specified distance, and as long as they are emitting a right type of colour, I'd say YES, they are OK, but I don't know your smoked lamps nor do I know if a cop would agree that they are visible enough...

One thing to keep in mind is are other people going to see your lamps???
If not, then you're just asking for an accident - someone will pile into you, and hopefully it won't be at high speed.
Lamps serve a damn good purpose, not just for you, but for others on the road as well...

Do you feel lucky, as the man said???

Keep in mind, we don't live in Europe where drivers are far more alert, generally speaking, and where smoked lamps are tolerated; we live in a place where people deliberately ignore lamps, so I'd say, why add to their idiotic cause?

If it was me, I'd have 100w spot lamps for signal devices, but HTA allows only one spot lamp, thus you'd never know if I want to turn right or left...

Last edited by EstorilM3; 11-10-2004 at 08:48 PM.
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:30 PM   #7
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual

Thank You very Much for the information

it is greatly appreciated, i think i will smoke the extra pair i have and see how dark they r, if they r too dark for my comfort then no big loss as they r cheap

thanks again, i owe u one
-Paul

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: