Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-05-2002, 06:40 PM   #1
Daydream M3
2nd Gear Member

Need Stereo Install Help...... E36

Has anyone installed a component system on their own? Do you have to take off the door panels? If anyone has done this themselves, please PM me. Thanks
Daydream M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 09:42 PM   #2
Harry
4th Gear Member

Yes, you need to remove the door panels. The tweeters are attached to the little speaker grill and need to be removed. The speaker grill is attached on the backside of the door panel and cannot b undone from the frontside.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 09:46 PM   #3
Daydream M3
2nd Gear Member

Hey Harry,
Do you know how to remove the door panels? Also, does the stock BMW sound system use a crossover? Thanks
Daydream M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 12:49 PM   #4
Harry
4th Gear Member

As far as I am aware, the stock system does not provide for the cross-over, but I am not sure about the HK system. Regardless, you should replace the Crossover if there is one as they would not be of the best quality.

As for the door panel, behind the door pull handle on the inside of the door are 2 little black abs that need to be removed what cover 2 bolts. You also need to remove the plastic clip that surrounds the surrounds the door handle. It slides off. They are pretty easy to break, so be careful. You also need to unscrew the plunger from the top of the door.

To get it off, there are clips that go all the way around the door. You need to pull the the panel off the clips gently. The panels are made of some cheap MDF stuff or something and can crack easily where the connectors go in.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:11 PM   #5
Harry
4th Gear Member

These are the clips on the inside of the door that come off. They stay attached to the door, not the panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adj4.jpg (19.9 KB, 110 views)
Old 10-06-2002, 01:12 PM   #6
Harry
4th Gear Member

These are the screw that need to come out and the clip that needs to slde forward. The black clip covers the edge of the material around the door handle release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adj5b.jpg (15.5 KB, 109 views)
Old 10-06-2002, 04:11 PM   #7
Foc us
4th Gear Member

The stock amp might have a built in Xover, same like gamite's amp, just bypass it if you got another headunit and it'll be just fine. If you're planning on installing component sets into your car you might have to think of getting an amp to power it.
Foc us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 05:17 PM   #8
Kal
maxRealtor

Send a message via MSN to Kal
i have a system in my car and i didn't change the front tweeters or speakers...i find that they sound pretty good as they are....

but ya..the door panels aren't hard to take off at all .. harry gave a pretty good description...

p.s. becareful for the door panel speakers..the border around the speakers tend to chip

kal
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 11:42 AM   #9
Adriano
Who's your daddy now?

Send a message via MSN to Adriano
If you are going to amplify your components - which you should do to get the full performance out of them- don't forget to upgrade your speaker wireing.

Agent BMW trailer
Adriano is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: