Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-27-2004, 11:00 PM   #16
just325iS
3rd Gear Member

make sure they are at 42 psi when hot. You only do auto-x? Have you been to shannoville? I find it more fun at the track. 200km/hr down the back straight, under hard, hard braking to make the right hand turn, really fun stuff.
just325iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:19 PM   #17
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by just325iS
make sure they are at 42 psi when hot. You only do auto-x? Have you been to shannoville? I find it more fun at the track. 200km/hr down the back straight, under hard, hard braking to make the right hand turn, really fun stuff.
I haven't been to Shannonville yet, hopefully next year. The only track I have driven on is Mosport, and I have been a passenger on the Mosport DDT. I don't think the T1-S's will see the track, except for maybe a driving school. I guess it would make more sense to take street tires to a driving school then r-compounds.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:54 AM   #18
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally Posted by just325iS

I've been to Shannonville, many times to ride along and to spectate. I don't have a car to drive on the track which explains why I've spectated only, but I have a relative idea of the driving lines there. From my personal perspective, Shannonville doesn't seem to be that challenging once you learn the lines or after going there several times. The track is pretty much flat (no elevation changes) unlike Mosport and there are no blind corners at all either. I'm not putting Shannonville down, it's a fun track to take your car around and learn, but I personally like the challenge of Mosport after going there this year to do some filming for the Porsche Club Race and the AMLS weekend.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:17 AM   #19
just325iS
3rd Gear Member

Shannonville is fun and you can push hard without to much worry. A lot of open fields for mistakes. A lot of cars get totaled at Mosport. I just want to have some fun without too much worried. My last track day, a supercharged S2000 losted in front of me, I had to steer into the weeds.
just325iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:18 AM   #20
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Hey Nelson, I was just reading up on the upcoming T1-R's, they look promising. The same basic tread pattern, just stronger shoulders (and hopefully sidewall). A few message boards in Europe have very positive reviews. And most importantly for me, the very rare size I need for my car (think wide) that the T1-S comes in is officially in production on the T1-R line.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:23 AM   #21
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
Hey Nelson, I was just reading up on the upcoming T1-R's, they look promising. The same basic tread pattern, just stronger shoulders (and hopefully sidewall). A few message boards in Europe have very positive reviews. And most importantly for me, the very rare size I need for my car (think wide) that the T1-S comes in is officially in production on the T1-R line.
This is why everyone is selling the T1-S's so cheap, the distributors are tryingto clear them out. I'm happy
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 10-30-2004, 03:23 PM   #22
alexm520
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
That is what everyone tells me, luckily I just bought another set of wheels with RA-1's on them....I can't wait to try them at the auto-x's next season.
The guys who are always winning the auto-x class that I'm in (3 -series, 6-cyl, modified) are on RA-1's. Hopefully I'll be one of them
Guys,

Toyo T1S is a great tire (dry or wet) on par with Bridgestone S03. It has been a favourite with the BMW club (as a non-Rcompound tire) for several years because it offered the same performance of their competitors but cheaper. As the word got out (of course), their prices climbed in 2002 and 2003 again. $900 (canadian) for a set of 17" is an excellent price.

By the way, Toyo recommends a negative camber (at least "-2") for their RA1 tire. Which means you will need camber plates.
The general consensus among BMW Club members (US or Canada) is only to switch from street tires to R-Compounds when you are an intermediate level ("B") group member (I am talking about driving on big tracks like Mosport, Watkins Glen etc.) because as a beginner student (C group) there are a lot of things you can learn as a driver even on a good street tire like (T1S, S03 or Pilot Sport).

AlexM520

Last edited by alexm520; 10-30-2004 at 03:28 PM.
alexm520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:54 PM   #23
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm520
By the way, Toyo recommends a negative camber (at least "-2") for their RA1 tire. Which means you will need camber plates.
The general consensus among BMW Club members (US or Canada) is only to switch from street tires to R-Compounds when you are an intermediate level ("B") group member (I am talking about driving on big tracks like Mosport, Watkins Glen etc.) because as a beginner student (C group) there are a lot of things you can learn as a driver even on a good street tire like (T1S, S03 or Pilot Sport).

AlexM520
Well, I already have front camber plates, and happen to be running -2ļ all around. So I guess that'll work.

In regards to my next driving school, I'll just bring the two sets of wheels in case. My last driving school my instructor recommended me to move up to advanced, but that is up to the organizers to decide.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: