Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2004, 09:48 AM   #1
gmal
1st Gear Newbie

E39 Steering wheel upgrade

I own a 2000 540i6 sport (built 8/99) - love the car, great handling and acceleration.
BUT the steering wheel leaves alot to be desired - although it's heated (a bonus for cold climates) and equiped with electronic controls, it is huge and skinny - compromissing the feel of the car. So I am looking to replace it and was looking for some advise.

I have three options so far.
Option 1: M-Technic 385mm steering wheel and new air bag. This one fits according to the BMW alternative parts CD - but no heat.
Part# is 32342228891

Option 2: M-Technic 379mm wheel & new airbag. Wheel is a bit thicker than the one above, apparently nicer stiching - hence preferable. Part# is 32342229103
However it shows as available for cars built on/after 09/99.
Any thoughts if this fits my 8/99?

Option 3: probably a long-shot - but I noticed the '04 X5 4-spoke steering wheel is smaller, thicker and heated - and the electronic functions are identical to mine. Can this wheel fit?
Part# is 32346751178 or 32346751179 - not sure of the difference.

thanks in advance for any information the forum may be able to provide.
gmal
gmal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: