Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-05-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
bimmer_02
Picture Me Rollin'

Lowr'n My E46 ... <<<

wat up people .... im looking into lowering my 2002 320i. I'v heard from alot of people that i could buy performace springs and leave my orig. shox on, and that would be ok ... would this noticably hurt my shox or my ride? and what is the best way to lower?
bimmer_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

You'll blow the shocks much quicker. E46's seem to be better than other generations with regards to taking the abuse of lowering springs on stock dampers, but I'd seriously suggest getting new, better shocks at the same time.

Look at the H&R Cup Kit, FK Kit, etc. Those are matched setups that work great.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
bimmer_02
Picture Me Rollin'

is that all? or am i gonna see more bouncing and hard bumps than other ways of lowering??
bimmer_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:35 AM   #4
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Oh yeah, definitely a lot worse ride quality. You'd be bottoming out the shocks on large potholes, and trust me, it's not a good feeling.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:19 AM   #5
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to STALKER
There are a lot of options out there, depending on what you are looking for, you can find the right set up for you and the car. But, do a complete system, of struts/shocks and springs or coilovers and you will be much happier.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:41 PM   #6
cheffy
1st Gear Newbie

honestly, do the whole thing at once: ie. get cupkit or coilover or shock + spring at the same time. Your ride will feel fine in the beginning on stock shocks but pretty soon you'll regret cause your ride will be harsh.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
LUV*MY*BIMMA
1st Gear Newbie

Go For the EIBACH lowering kit U May pay a little extra, but I hear good things about their equipment.
LUV*MY*BIMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:21 PM   #8
Interlude
1st Gear Newbie

EIBACH's are probably the best springs I dealt with. I had them on my old prelude with Tokico blue shocks. I believe the Eibach's are german made with a lifetime warranty. (That was 3 years ago when I bought my prokit)
Interlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:49 PM   #9
bimmer_02
Picture Me Rollin'

thanks alot for all the responses everyone.
i think im going for Eibach springs, i got a deal for $350 all four. and one more question:
i wanna go as low as possible with springs on stock shox, and Eibach has got three types of srings (street 20-30cm, racing 40-50, and pure racing). I know im not going for pure racing, but what do u think if i go with "racing" (40-50cm), would that ruin my shox too fast? or maybe cause other problems ???
Old 06-02-2004, 02:05 PM   #10
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

I'm running Eibach Pro Kit springs on stock performance pkg shocks for about 6 months now and so far so good. If it gives in then I'll just get new shocks and replace them. The main reason I did this is because I keep hearing I shouldn't. I wanted to find out for myself if the theory is crap or not.

The labour cost of having to get new shocks installed is not an issue for me because my brother has a shop. Anyway, just sharing my experience... I'm happy to report that the stock performance pkg shocks are still performing quite well.

Regarding your question as to which Eibach springs, I suggest you go with the street version unless you don't mind the harsh ride you'll get from the racing ones.

Good luck!!!
jmalixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #11
bimmer_02
Picture Me Rollin'

ok, im getting a 1.8" drop springs from Eibach all around. do the performance springs im gona buy in the back need to be lower that the ones in the front since its a BMW ?
Old 06-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #12
dissto
1st Gear Newbie

i have H&R sport with stock sport shocks. work just fine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: