Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-05-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
boss
2nd Gear Member

Problem with 3rd gear

I finally insured my e36, and on my fist day driving I was sad to find out that when the car is in 3rd, and my foot is off the gas, that the shifter slips into neutral. I have no mechanical knowledge, so I'm a bit nervous as to what this is. Does anyone have any ideas, or better yet any ideas on how to resolve it? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:01 PM   #2
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Re: Problem with 3rd gear

Quote:
Originally posted by boss
I finally insured my e36, and on my fist day driving I was sad to find out that when the car is in 3rd, and my foot is off the gas, that the shifter slips into neutral. I have no mechanical knowledge, so I'm a bit nervous as to what this is. Does anyone have any ideas, or better yet any ideas on how to resolve it? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Sounds like your syncros could be screwed or the tranny my friend. Get it checked out quick
Old 05-05-2004, 10:26 PM   #3
app
5th Gear Member

Syncro's. Happened in my last car, and this one. Rebuilding is actually more expensive than picking up a used tranny (or so I was quoted).

Sorry to be the confirmer of bad news.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:33 PM   #4
boss
2nd Gear Member

damn it.....assuming that it is the tranny.....if I wanted to do a complete swap approx how much would it cost?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #5
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
I sold the car, I never ever had that problem. It never had slipped out on me once. Synchro is what it sounds like which is not the transmission. If it was the tranny, the car would not move in any gear.
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:04 PM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
It has happenend to me about 4 times. It happenend when I first bought my car (with 70k on it). It has never happenend since. Basically it was from me not fully engaging 3rd gear properly.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:12 PM   #7
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
It has happenend to me about 4 times. It happenend when I first bought my car (with 70k on it). It has never happenend since. Basically it was from me not fully engaging 3rd gear properly.
happened to me twice after i got a car, but it was 3rd gear not fully engaged under hard acceleration, never happened again.

Boss, you might check if you fully put it in gear
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:19 PM   #8
boss
2nd Gear Member

thanks for your help guys.....I'm certainly going to pay close attention to the throw into third....and hopefully it's just that....but just in case how would I check out if it's the "Synchro"...if so how much would that be to fix....

Jay if you get a chance can you give me a call
Thansk
Old 05-09-2004, 08:02 PM   #9
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

This happened to me twice since i've owned my car but like everyone else said, it was from me talking on the phone and not putting it in gear fully
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: