Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
DbIiRrTdY
3rd Gear Member

suspension and wheels

Hey all,

I know this topic has been pretty much done but I would like some opinions and help.

I have a set of 245/40/18 which look amazing on the back of my 97 m3 but i'm having rubbing issues.

First off i'm on my stock suspension which i'm thinking of swaping out (it is about time actually 175K).

1) I'm only getting rubbing on one side. Do you guys think my alignment is out hence the reason for the rubbing or is this normal?

2) Also it seems my driver side of the car is higher than the right side (I though this was an m3 traight) How much is the difference suppose to be.

I'd like to get this fixed asap so i can have on summers for the end of the week.

Thanks for you help guys

vic
DbIiRrTdY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 08:34 PM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

First off, the tire is rubbing not because of offset/width/alignment, it's simply TOO BIG (by an inch in diameter). It's likely actually catching the fender liner, which can lead to some unpleasant problems down the road.

The driver's side is higher always. Have someone of average girth sit in the driver's seat, and you'll notice it looks perfectly level. It's normal.

I'd recommend getting new tires ASAP.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 08:44 PM   #3
DbIiRrTdY
3rd Gear Member

Mystikal,

I'm not too sure the tire is too big in terms of diameter. I know that Mitch55 is running 19s. Plus i was running these 18s with 235/40/18s on all 4.

I do have my 17s back on the car right now ... but would like to put the 18s on soon.

Thanks Mystical for the input, Anyone else with any thoughts?

vic
Old 05-09-2004, 07:23 AM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Are you on stock suspension? What is the offset of the rims?

The rubbing can be caused by excessing toe, or not enough negative camber, improper offset, etc.

Also, yes, that is a pretty large diameter tire, it's diameter is 3.34cm larger then a 235/40/17 (standard 95 M3 size). So the tire goes about 1.6cm further into the fender, not to mention screw up your speedo accuracy.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
DbIiRrTdY
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
Are you on stock suspension? What is the offset of the rims?

The rubbing can be caused by excessing toe, or not enough negative camber, improper offset, etc.

Also, yes, that is a pretty large diameter tire, it's diameter is 3.34cm larger then a 235/40/17 (standard 95 M3 size). So the tire goes about 1.6cm further into the fender, not to mention screw up your speedo accuracy.
Hey thinair,

Thanks for your thoughts. Here is my attempt to answer your questions.

The car that is in question is a 97 m3 that came stock with a standard staggared setup of (i believe) 255 or 245/40/17 in the rear. I was hoping these would fit without issues. The thing is one side is perfect it is the drivers that is out of wack. Hence my question about alignment.

1) Yes stock suspension
2) The rims are BBS CH 18" (i'm not sure of the offset) but i get the feeling that one rim is a little more pushed out than the other.
3) as for the diameter i agree it is larger in diameter but i think my feeling is that it should still fit (diameter wise). As for the width ... i bumped it up to 245 than from 235 which i had last year and now the rubbing.

Thanks again!

vic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: