Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-19-2002, 06:11 PM   #1
hawai-Ian
3rd Gear Member

do you ppl use dsl/cable routers?

My friend mentioned to me that one can have internet sharing (cable or dsl) by installing a software, a network card on all PC's and use the secondary telephone line as opposed to using a hardware router like linksys. He sez, no noticeable difference in internet speed when compared to conventional routers.

Have you heard of this? Do you know any1 who's in the busines doing this kind of install? tia.
Old 08-19-2002, 08:28 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
I use a router (D-Link DI-704P) for the simple fact that I don't have to leave one computer always on for any of my computers to get internet or printer access. With a router all the bandwidth is shared anyway, so you'll only notice a decrease in speed when one of the other computers is downloading lots of stuff, but then again pretty much all forms of home networking shares bandwidth like that.

You kinda lost me as to why you'd need the second phone line though, for one of those 3-com telephone networking kits?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 09:38 PM   #3
hawai-Ian
3rd Gear Member

im not really sure how this 'new' internet sharing is configured using a telephone line. Im trying to get more info on it. Why? it's been said, its more economical, and cleaner installation ie using existing phone jacks, and no messy router cables.
btw did you know that every home has a secondary phone line built in when a house is built?
Assuming you currently use only one phone line, this secondary phone line is used in the config and not a physical external router such as linksys or dlink.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:19 AM   #4
e36_freak
Mostly absent

Send a message via ICQ to e36_freak Send a message via MSN to e36_freak
Quote:
Originally posted by hawai-Ian
im not really sure how this 'new' internet sharing is configured using a telephone line. Im trying to get more info on it. Why? it's been said, its more economical, and cleaner installation ie using existing phone jacks, and no messy router cables.
btw did you know that every home has a secondary phone line built in when a house is built?
Assuming you currently use only one phone line, this secondary phone line is used in the config and not a physical external router such as linksys or dlink.

Yah i know they have a secondary line. actually it's not really a secondary line. the phone like has like 5 wires or 4 or something. and it's the different combination of wires you use. i think you only need 3 wires for one line or was it 2. i forgot when me and my dad finished the basement i had to do the phone line wiring.

[M]i[K]E[•][M]i[K]E[•]
e36_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 01:39 AM   #5
DaveM3
3rd Gear Member

I use em for the same reason coz I dont need to leave one computer up n running all the time..

Before I use microsoft ICS (internet connection sharing).. work purty good.. but when my main computer need to be rebooted.. the other computer will lost connection.. with router.. I dont need to worry about it

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: