Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-30-2004, 03:19 AM   #1
ians
1st Gear Newbie

Worth to get Extend Warranty?

The original warranty of my 00 328i is going to expire next month. And T&C quoted me that $3600+tax for a 4yr to 160000km extend warranty(bumper 2 bumper and not deductable). Is it worth to get?
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:23 AM   #2
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
if you are planning to mod your car then forget it, but if not then it's a good idea, some people might tell you that it's a waste of money, but I work at Benz and seeing how expensive some of these parts are is crazy, for example if a control module goes wrong it will cost you anywhere between $400-$2500, or maybe if your tranny goes what are you going to do then, get my point

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Look into some third party Warranty as well to compare prices...

Take a look at Autosure. http://www.autosure.info/

They have a few plans including a "Comprehensive Coverage" (car must be 6 years or newer).
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #4
ians
1st Gear Newbie

Thx guys for your comments. Just want to have some comments on how likely I will have high repair bill or major breakdown on the 4th year to 8th year of ownership on a 3 series.
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

How many KM you have on it now????

You might want to consider putting that money into an investment. This way, it will grow and if you have repairs, you've got the money.

It's a gamble, but if you've owned the car for a while, you know how the car is. Drive it carefully and it will take care of you.

Purchasing a used car, I'd get the warranty because you never know how the car was driven. I had a BMW e36 and was frustrated at how much and how often that car broke down; It definitely wasn’t as reliable as my Acura. If it wasn't for the Extended warranty, I would have lost even more money. The car looked mint, inside and out. 1 Owner, serviced and bought from the dealer that I bought the car from. Who would have thought it would turn out to be a POS.

If I keep my current BMW past 3-4 years, I probably won't get the warranty. Mine's all highway and I'm gentle with it. That car has been good so far (only two minor repairs).

I'm considering a new Acura TL 6spd Manual, and I think the 7-8 Year extended Bumper to Bumper warranty is only $800.00. I'd buy that in a second if I do get that car.

Do what you are comfortable with. You can pay upfront for the security, or you can gamble and take your chance. Evaluate your car and figure out if it's a reliable one, and how hard you drive it. That will be the deciding factor.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: