Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Z series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-10-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
MBeacher
2nd Gear Member

rear tire width on M Roadster

Anybody have any experience running larger width rear tires on a M Roadster? I have to change my current rear tires (which are the 245/40/17 stock size), but I've heard that you can go with a wider tire on the stock rims as there is extra room. I've looked on mz3.net as well as the roadfly board and seems like some people run 255/40/17 with no problems (some even look like they try to run 265/40/17!).

My primary goal is to increase grip and handling - I'm not after looks. If anyone runs with 255's, have you found that handling is better? Also note that I'm not planning on changing the fronts (leaving them stock) - do you think increasing the rears but leaving the fronts alone will adversely affect handling?

P.S. I'm budget conscious, so the tires I'm currently considering are:

Kumho Ecsta MX
Yokohama AVS ES100
Bridgestone Fuzion (new for 2004 - .Bridgestone Fuzion )

Cheers

Last edited by MBeacher; 03-10-2004 at 04:45 PM.
MBeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Increasing the rear width and leaving the fronts will induce understeer. I highly recommend pushing the fronts up to 235 or 245 if you want to mount 255 in the rear. Your tire choices are also quite good, I'd go for the MX if you want all-out grip and stabilility, ES100 for a slightly softer overall demeanor.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
ImolaMZ3
2nd Gear Member

I am in the process of replacing my tires as well. Be careful on increasing the width in the rear and leaving the fronts as understeer will increase.

I am going with one of these combo's
Bridgestone S03's
235-45-17 front
265-40-17 rear
Best quote is $1,900.00 taxes in

This gives a slightly taller tire and will fix the optomistic speedo.

Michelin Pilot Sport
235-40-17 front
265-35-17 rear
$2,200.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This would look nice on the stock wheels as they are close to the stock sidewall height. Just damn expensive.
ImolaMZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
Alezone
Capitalism

I have 265 on the ///M stock 5-spoke

PORSCHE 981
Alezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 02:07 AM   #5
MBeacher
2nd Gear Member

Hey Alezone, what do you run on the fronts? And when you changed over from the stock size, what was your opinion on the handling differences?
Old 03-12-2004, 02:23 AM   #6
Alezone
Capitalism

sorry MBeacher, i never had a chance to tryout the stock size... cos I did the swap right the way.

and I'm runnin 245 front

PORSCHE 981
Old 03-12-2004, 02:29 AM   #7
MBeacher
2nd Gear Member

Alezone - So how's your grip? any understeer? any rubbing or other issues/problems?

Everyone - for those that started with stock size and upped the ante later, what did you notice about changes? improved grip, handling, more understeer?
Old 03-12-2004, 02:37 AM   #8
MBeacher
2nd Gear Member

Oh ya and one other question - I'm a cheapo and was going to leave the fronts alone which are Bridgestone Potenzas 730 (which are no longer made) because they still have a decent amount of tread left. Given that I'm looking at completely different tires on the back, does anybody have any experience running different tire makes in the front vs. the back? When I phoned the guy and Wheel and Tire Zone he was pretty insistent that I should change all four, but I wanted an unbiased opinion since while he may be telling the truth, he may also be just trying to sell me more than I want.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:22 PM   #9
ImolaMZ3
2nd Gear Member

Lots of tread does not make for a great tire. Age will have more to do with it as tire go hard. For front tires this means more push in the corners. I would replace all four but if you are not looking for max handling then leave well enough alone and keep them.
ImolaMZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 02:31 AM   #10
Alezone
Capitalism

Quote:
Originally posted by MBeacher
Alezone - So how's your grip? any understeer? any rubbing or other issues/problems?

Everyone - for those that started with stock size and upped the ante later, what did you notice about changes? improved grip, handling, more understeer?
I'm running S-03 and the grip is excellent. given moderate road condition and temperature (tires and road), understeer... haven't experienced it, maybe I'm not beating it to the limit. no rubbing. just a louder tire noise when driving...

PORSCHE 981

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: