Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-24-2004, 10:54 AM   #16
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Just to clarify, red angels are NOT illegal in Ontario. I'd know I've been pulled over TWICE now with my red angels in --- both times, they said they're not illegal. Blue *IS* illegal, blue is reserved for emergency vehicles.. (snow plows, night busses, police cars, tow-trucks, etc.) Red is perfectly legal on the front of your car as long as they're not blinking. Echo is right, as long as you have your foglights on... (you have some type of headlights on), you're fine. That's why I keep my red angels on now, and don't use the blue's.

If you are going to keep your foglights+angel eyes on, and your headlights off---for your safety, it'd be a good idea to do the superfogs mod. As soon as it warms up I'll be doing it.

I think blue looks better, but just to compare:

Blue - Been pulled over 4-5 times in the first 4 months.
Red - Over 1 year, been pulled over twice---both times not for my angel's.. and both times they commented on them but said they can't give a ticket for it.

I suspect this will be changing sometime in the future---but for now, I'm happy not being ticketed for my red angel's. Though I do still wish I could put the blue's back in, just not worth the risk.

p.s. these are NOT LED's! .. lightboxes from Umnitza.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red_evil_frontangle.jpg (36.5 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Justin e36; 02-24-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:41 PM   #17
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin e36
Just to clarify, red angels are NOT illegal in Ontario.
Sorry, but they are. I know people that have been ticketed for it.

Here is the Highway Traffic Act, section 62.1

It states
Quote:
the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only
And the again, HTA section 62.15
Quote:
but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts a red light to the front
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 02-24-2004 at 04:44 PM.
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:33 AM   #18
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Yes, I've had this same conversation with the police officer. He explained basically the same thing, but abstruse in his explanation... now I know what he meant about the angels not being illegal because they're not bulbs. I believe he was referring to the fact that the halo's are non-directional. He also mentioned that as long as my fog lights are on, he can't ticket me... that could've been his reference to subsection 62 (15).... but I can only assume.

The first quote was incomplete, the disseminated subsection is:

Quote:
"...every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only."
Yes officer, I have two lamps, each in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of my motor vehicle---and yes, the light is white. My fog lamps are not modified and are approved by the Ministry. They are always on.

Quote:
In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a vehicle described in subsection (15.1) may carry lamps that cast a red light only or such other colour of light that may, with the approval of the ministry, be designated by a by-law of the municipality in which the vehicle is operated, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts a red light to the front.
No sir, the red light at the front of my motor vehicle does not cast a red light, the light is circumscribed.

Thinair, I understand what you're getting at---and yes, I agree that red angel eyes should be illegal in Ontario, but as resolved, there are holes within the HTA that are easily exploited, and would be incontestable in court. As noted, the verb used both times with "red light" in 16 (1) is "cast". [(Throw or set forth) a red light.] My red lights do not cast a beam; I am within the boundaries of the law. (I'm sure KITT would be happy to hear that he is allowed in Ontario as well.)

When it comes to law, wording is everything... find a way around (or in my case, through) this---and you're home free. Enter the spurned lawyer.

If your friends had red headlights/turn signals/fog lights/washer nozels/ground fx/etc., then yes they have stepped outside the law. As long as it does not cast a light, they can and should argue their ticket, or hire a lawyer.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up... I did not have a chance to actually read the HTA until now---I just printed it. Now I have something to read on the subway. Please ignore any spelling / grammatical errors in the above---it's late, I'm still at work... and in a rush to clear my desk so I can get out of here.

J
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:51 AM   #19
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

Justin, you the man
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:03 AM   #20
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin e36
Anyway, thanks for bringing this up... I did not have a chance to actually read the HTA until now---I just printed it. Now I have something to read on the subway.
I actually keep a copy of it under my drivers seat, you have no idea how quickly officers give up when you try to reference it.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: