Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-20-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Just installed a JT-Designs Undertray

Basically this thing goes under the front bumper and replaces the plastic undertray with an aluminum one. Lots of people have lost their plastic ones on the street (including me) and this is a stronger alternative, and I can't see it falling off anytime soon.

At least this way i don't have to worry about debris coming up and slamming onto a rad hose or something, plus it keeps a lot of air from coming into the engine bay from the bottom of the car.

I had to make a couple cuts along the front edge due to my non-OEM bumper cover, but it fits.

Before:

Now:

This is what the underpanel itself looks like

By the way, these are not my pictures, I don't have a digital camera (yet), but at least you get the idea.

And Kirasir, no I haven't forgotten, msg me about this when you can.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 02-20-2004 at 11:30 PM.
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 06:28 AM   #2
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Damn, that looks pretty sweet!
I need something like this cause the plastic piece on my car is being held with some home made stuff. Where and how much?
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 06:54 AM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Group buy from M3 Motorworks back in December for like $110US shipped.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 02-21-2004, 07:54 AM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
not a bad price, and a smart alternative.. thanks--I'll be looking into this...
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:50 PM   #5
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Nelson,

How much do they charge directly from their website? There's no info listed there. Did you feel any difference in terms of airflow under the car at higher speeds?

I was looking at the AC Schnitzer one as well which was similar to this design, only they had a rear diffuser under the rear of the car as well for downforce. I always wanted something like this, just never knew where to find one. The 318's never came with any kind of plastic cover for the bottom, so this is a good investment for 318 owners. I assume it should bolt right up to the OEM M3 front?

Thanks,

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Nelson,

How much do they charge directly from their website? There's no info listed there. Did you feel any difference in terms of airflow under the car at higher speeds?

I was looking at the AC Schnitzer one as well which was similar to this design, only they had a rear diffuser under the rear of the car as well for downforce. I always wanted something like this, just never knew where to find one. The 318's never came with any kind of plastic cover for the bottom, so this is a good investment for 318 owners. I assume it should bolt right up to the OEM M3 front?

Thanks,

Bryan
Who's website? JT-Designs or M3 Motorwerks?

I don't drive my car in the winter so I don't know about the airflow thing, but even then I don't think it'll make such a difference that I can feel. Next time I go to the wind tunnel I'll run the smoke stream by it and see if it smoothened the air under the car. I don't think it matters to me much mostly because I don't track my car to the point where .001 seconds matters.

AC Schnitzer one costs an arm and a leg does it not?

The JT-D underpanel was made for the M3 bumper and the non-M bumper as well, so you'll have no problem fitting it.

I think the main reason for JT-D designing this was for people who were sick of losing their stock plastic ones constantly, and to offer a little more protection from road debris. That is why I bought it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: