Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-14-2004, 11:27 PM   #16
app
5th Gear Member

Is it really noticeable if you get your windshield tinted 50%?
Old 02-15-2004, 01:37 PM   #17
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
I don't think you guys realize how dark my tint is..

I've been complimented numerous times on my tint and people ask me if it's legal. Personally, I seriously doubt it's legal. Often I drive with the windows down because I can't see a damn thing, not even out the side mirrors. I have to roll the windows down just to park, even in the daylight! Also, on the highway if I can't see your headlights, then you're not there. It's too dangerous. And if I'm going to track my car, visability is key.

Anyways, I thought it was illegal to tint your front windows? I'm not positive about this, but I thought it was only legal to tint the rear. If you look at a mini van the rear windows are pitch black, but the front's are completely clear. It's so the cops can see the drivers right?

This is what it looks like in the daylight, imagine what it looks like at night! The visibility from the inside is equally as bad.

thanks,

Bry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sigpic1.jpg (64.8 KB, 70 views)
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 02-15-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:38 PM   #18
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Anyways, I thought it was illegal to tint your front windows? I'm not positive about this, but I thought it was only legal to tint the rear. If you look at a mini van the rear windows are pitch black, but the front's are completely clear. It's so the cops can see the drivers right?

This is what it looks like in the daylight, imagine what it looks like at night! The visibility from the inside is equally as bad.

thanks,

Bry
It's legal to tint your front-side windows, and there's no exact law in Ontario as to how dark it can be. It's up to the cop if he thinks its too dark.

And if the visibility is the same from the inside as it is from the outside (from that pic u posted), then somethings wrong with the tint. Mine's pretty dark and I dont have any troubles seeeing outside.. even at night.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:59 PM   #19
app
5th Gear Member

I believe the legal limits are 35% on driver/passenger windows, and anything else can be as dark as you want. Windshield cannot be tinted either. Usually anything darker than 20% I found to be too dark, and usually attracted attention from John Q. Law.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:36 PM   #20
koncise
all you need is one mike

Quote:
Originally posted by app
I believe the legal limits are 35% on driver/passenger windows
Misconception. For almost all provinces, you're right. Ontario, however, has no specified legal limit. It's cops discretion. If he thinks he cant identify objects inside the car, he can ticket you.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:55 PM   #21
AlpWhitE46
is a pimp

Send a message via MSN to AlpWhitE46
Quote:
Originally posted by koncise
Misconception. For almost all provinces, you're right. Ontario, however, has no specified legal limit. It's cops discretion. If he thinks he cant identify objects inside the car, he can ticket you.
I don't know really but how come all the cars that come stock with the tints only have the rear windows and the back window only tinted..i heard from many people that its illegal to tint the front and driver / passenger windows.
AlpWhitE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:06 PM   #22
koncise
all you need is one mike

Quote:
Originally posted by AlpWhitE46
I don't know really but how come all the cars that come stock with the tints only have the rear windows and the back window only tinted..i heard from many people that its illegal to tint the front and driver / passenger windows.
Well I'm sure they are many reasons.

1. I dont think cars are customly made for Ontario, so all tint laws have to be recognized ... (could be wrong)

2. lots of ppl dont like dark tint in the front, as u can see from this thread.

3. well thats all i have

But i looked it up online and asked the guy at tint king before doing my car, and both sources confirm what i've been saying. Cops discretion in ontario.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #23
AlpWhitE46
is a pimp

Send a message via MSN to AlpWhitE46
Quote:
Well I'm sure they are many reasons.

1. I dont think cars are customly made for Ontario, so all tint laws have to be recognized ... (could be wrong)

2. lots of ppl dont like dark tint in the front, as u can see from this thread.

3. well thats all i have

But i looked it up online and asked the guy at tint king before doing my car, and both sources confirm what i've been saying. Cops discretion in ontario.
Yeah thats cool, i agree with your reasons..plus so many cars have them at the front, i think theyd take it off if they were getting ticketed
AlpWhitE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:46 PM   #24
niko_gt
6th Gear Member

its cops discretion, i was pulled over for it, cop said he couldnt see a thing, (must hvae been the angle he was lookin at) he said he doesnt care if its 10% or 90% if he cant see thru the front windows he can ticket you. i got lucky tho, the backwindows u can make them solid black if u want it doesnt matter
Old 02-16-2004, 01:34 AM   #25
app
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Thanks! I never knew that.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:48 AM   #26
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
For the back windows, any window behind the driver, side or rear, you can practically paint the glass black. For the windows to the side of the driver, as previously mentioned, it's at the cops discretion. The front windshield, there is a certain amount of area that has to be pretty much clear. The only factory coatings I've ever seen on the front windows is the gold UV coating on some Caddies, Lincons. I've never heard of tinting the windshield.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:05 PM   #27
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Thanks guys, I'm finally done.

I removed the tint with no problems. It just peeled right off. Some little peices got stuck in the corners but it was fairly easy. The hardest part was removing the glue. After this, I never want to have to remove tint ever again!

I used nail polish remover and it worked faily well. The glue was so thick! The polish remover worked great on the glue. However, rubbing the glue off with a towel was very time consuming. Using a Razor as some of you have suggested to remove the glue does not work. It only scratches the glass and makes a mess of things. All in all I'm very happy with the results, I can finally see while driving in the night. And I need to be able to see, I've got a heavy foot

Thanks for all your help guys,

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: