Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-12-2004, 05:16 AM   #61
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

my m10 make 222hp
Old 02-12-2004, 06:32 AM   #62
jimmyd1
2nd Gear Member

The Corky Bell Book is great. I invested in the supercharger book that he wrote as well. Unfortunately, I have neither the time, nor the patience to work on a turbo system right now. My dream has always been to keep the stock 2.5L M20, bore the crank journals to fit an EVO 3.2 Crank(trust me it has been done), run a CR of 7.8 to 8.3 and either run Vortech Supercharger w/ about 8 lbs of boost max, so I could possibly retain the stock ECU. Just a dream though.
jimmyd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:35 AM   #63
jimmyd1
2nd Gear Member

Sorry about the "either" in the last post, the other option would be to run T03/04 or a T60. I have spoken w/ Pat P several times regarding his forced induction garage. From what I can gather, it takes money, time and patience, two thing of which I do not possess
Old 02-12-2004, 10:21 PM   #64
Skunk#1
6th Gear Member

i need to go to walmart and buy some time and patients. do you have any info on putting an evo crank into an m20, what does that make it, a 3.0L? that is what i want to do, then turbo the motor, i am saving for the 3.0L kit that ireland engineering has as we speak.
Skunk#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:57 PM   #65
jimmyd1
2nd Gear Member

The 3.0L Ireland crank has been milled to be a direct fit. Apperantly all that needs to be done is a 1mm overbore of the cyclinder bores. The 3.2 is a little more complicated. .33 mm overbore required on the crank journals and a modified sump. Also need to do a 1mm overbore on the cylinder bores. The reason why I was going to go the 3.2 route is that I have a friend that works for Zeiss in Munich and he works very closely with the engineers from the BMW plant there. I was told by him that he could pick the crank up for me for about $1300 US. At this point, I just do not have the time to be pulling the engine out of the car and doing a complete bottom end rebuild. I was also considering the turbo idea with this setup and figured the displacement out to 3.1 L following the overbore and installation of the crank. I figured this would be the less expensive route to achieve 300 rwhp. When I finished adding everything up I think I came out with a real $ figure of $4900 for everything, including the turbo setup(everything bought individually).
Old 02-13-2004, 10:12 PM   #66
nzer
4th Gear Member

Objec,

I'm not sure where you live but here in NZ we can get a decent aftermarket ECU for around $1000 kiwi dollars = $700 ish USD. This will replace the AFM with a MAP sensor (you'll need a 2 bar map sensor for boost) MAP is manifold air pressure which is measured by a small rubber device that gets depressed in. The AFM in your car is the flap type device, you can replace it with different kinds of AFMs like a heated wire, this one is much less restrictive. You will however need to modify the signal for your motronic/l-jet ecu to understand it.

The BOV is for when you let your foot off the gas, since the turbo is blowing out a bunch of air and the throttle body is closed it would mean the turbo would stop/slow down very quickly which is not very helpful. The BOV opens and vents the boost to atmosphere and allows the turbo to keep spinning.

If you want to learn more about turbos and how they work get Maximum Boost as people have suggested, a turbo needs to be matched to the motor in terms of exhaust gas, intake flows etc.

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:22 AM   #67
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

so from what you said nzer the large the BOV the louder and free it flows. This may inturn result in a little less turbo lag?
Old 02-14-2004, 01:33 AM   #68
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
What is a safe boost for a stock internals m20/m50 8psi?.
Thought i would ask as I have access to a vortech S/C
Old 02-14-2004, 01:50 AM   #69
89325iturbo
1st Gear Newbie

Yes having a BOV will help reduce some lag, in between shifts, or if you get of throttle and back on it quickly. You have to have a BOV that right for your cars psi level. Most are adjustable so its not a big deal. To soft, and it can open early, or to hard and it might not open enough. The sound a BOV makes has no difference on how it works. Different makers have there signature sound. I can't say for the M50, but 8psi is fine for stock internals on the M20, i say you can go higher then that without much worries. Im sure the M50 would be fine at 8psi also.
89325iturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #70
Skunk#1
6th Gear Member

objec what kind of bov do you have on the m3?
Skunk#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: