Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-10-2004, 03:03 AM   #16
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Thanks guys, ES100 seems to be a favorite. I'll check these out. How is the tread wear on the ES100's?

I don't like Kumho's because numerous people have complained about the uneven tire wear. I don't know if Gamite has this very same problem, but the outer edge of his tires are more worn than the inside. I've experienced similar issues with my Hankook Ventus plus tires (also Korean).

Anyways, I know people will think I'm being a hippocrate, but my theory is, Korean cars are bad, so Korean car parts must be equally as bad. If tires were made in China, I'd avoid them like the plague. Think about it, it doesn't matter what upgrades you do to the car, your entire car sits on tires and it makes the biggest difference as to whether the car grips or doesn't. I'd rather have a high quality tire I can trust that's all season rather than a low budget so called "performance" tire.

And yes, you can barely use all seasons in the snow, don't know why you would try to use summer tires in the snow?

I'm not kidding, my car handles better on 15" snow tires than it did before on the Hankook Ventus plus ZR rated tires which were 225/45/17.

Thanks for your opinions guys. Keep em comming!

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:05 AM   #17
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
well the reasons why people use summer tires in the snow is:
they are morons
they are too cheap to buy winter tires
they are morons
don't know the difference between summer & winter tires
love the drifting feeling
have I mention they are morons

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:07 AM   #18
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Quack
well the reasons why people use summer tires in the snow is:
they are morons
they are too cheap to buy winter tires
they are morons
don't know the difference between summer & winter tires
love the drifting feeling
have I mention they are morons
lol.. that works for me.
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:34 AM   #19
HooliGaN*
GILF HUNTER

Send a message via ICQ to HooliGaN* Send a message via MSN to HooliGaN*
how about falkens

im buying those for summer tires
there apparently well rated
as best bang for buck
im grabbing summers for 145 a piece 17"

Julian
HooliGaN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:38 AM   #20
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by HooliGaN*
how about falkens

im buying those for summer tires
there apparently well rated
as best bang for buck
im grabbing summers for 145 a piece 17"

Julian
Hmmm, that's not bad. The only thing I've heard about Falken is that they make great track tires, just tread life is non-existent.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:45 AM   #21
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Wow, Sumitomo's are damn cheap. Are they any good?

I've been reading reviews in tirerack's website. Some people are seriously messed in the head. People are complaining about snow traction in the winter when they are using ZR rated tires. WTF. One guy with an STi is like, I bought these tires for the harsh winters here in Colorado, but these tires handle like crap in the snow. Duh.

I'd take the opinions of any of you BMW enthusiasts over the trackrack customers anyday.

Bry

Old 02-10-2004, 06:54 AM   #22
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I run the ES100's, they're great as far as a budget performance tire goes. Good in the rain too. As far as wear, you've seen me drive at the auto-x's, they're wearing fine, not unevenly, and they're lasting longer then I thought they would have. Uneven tire wear is more often then not caused by a bad alignment or improper air pressure.

My next tire if I'm on a budget will be the MX's though if they make them in my size by then. Hopefully my the time I need new tires I'll have enough money for a spare set of wheels with Victoracers anyway.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:47 PM   #23
WASABI
OG

You may also want to check out www.1010tires.com and www.tiretrends.com for prices and reviews. They also have cdn pricing.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:20 PM   #24
Ian Sheppard
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
[b]Thanks guys, ES100 seems to be a favorite. I'll check these out. How is the tread wear on the ES100's?
I'd also recommend the ES100, I've got them on the 325is. I used them daily and at 6 autocrosses, so they aren't wearing very well. I've got 7k on them and they are almost shot. I'd buy again for sure.

Ian Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:02 PM   #25
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Ian, are those Ronal LS'? Niiiice.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:22 PM   #26
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Sheppard
I'd also recommend the ES100, I've got them on the 325is. I used them daily and at 6 autocrosses, so they aren't wearing very well. I've got 7k on them and they are almost shot. I'd buy again for sure.

That's pretty much only one season. But then again, 6 auto-x's is quite a lot, I'm hoping they will last me 2-3 seasons with only a couple of track days a year. Do the ES100's make a decent set of lapping day track tires?

How much did you pay for the tires?

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 02-11-2004, 07:05 AM   #27
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Do the ES100's make a decent set of lapping day track tires?
ES100's aren't marketed as track tires, they're budget high performance street tires. For their price they're great, but nothing compared to a Pilot Sport, an S03, a Dunlop SP Sport 9000, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, TS-1, P-Zero Rosso, or an AVS Sport.

Expect $200-220 per tire.

If I do get a set of track wheels I'm definately getting a set of TS-1's or S03's on my street wheels.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:20 PM   #28
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
too lazy to read the thread, but whatever you do, do NOT waste your money on all-season tires. Instead, get yourself a nice set of 17" summer tires that work well in wet and dry, and then save up for some 15" winters for when it snows.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread