Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-04-2002, 05:11 PM   #16
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra

Quote:
Originally posted by Furious325is

Shaw was good because the demand on the system wasnt as high as rogers and bell...and as for the charge for bandwith issue,,, i think the thing is gonna be if your gonna stick to the 1.6Meg your gonna keep the same price,, the max capability on the modems that bell users have is 8 Meg. some or almost everyone should have the capability of at least 6 or 7 MEG..,, the only thing bell has to do is turn it up to the speed you want..
if you have an alcatel modem for your dsl, i know of a way that you can access the modem's internal web interface and change a few parameters for it to become a 3meg modem instead of a 1meg one. =)

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 05:36 PM   #17
Foc us
4th Gear Member

Maybe they have to capability but in real world you can see the difference. e.g. It's 4:28pm right now, me and my friend are downloading the same file from the same server, the difference is he's using Rogers and I'm using Sympatico, we're both using Windows XP Professional. My download speed is 73.8 Kbps/sec and his is 180 Kbps/sec. We're all signed up in the normal 45 bucks package and see the difference?? That's why Bell suck in all aspects.
The test sites doesn't mean a thing, it's connected to a dual OC3 or better, but when downloading you can see the difference right away!
BELL SUX!
Foc us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 08:01 PM   #18
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Well, I thought i'd drop my 2 cents.

I've had sympatico for over a year, yes the 16KB/s uploads suck, but I've only been down one evening. I used to get 130KB/s downloads from Microsoft sites, which I can live with. Rogers isn't the fastest in my area, too many people per node, super slowdowns during peak times (like 4KB/s). A big plus for me, which is pretty much what decided it, is the free 10 hours of roaming dial-up per month (most places in Canada), which I max out during the summer months when working out of town.

Right now I'm trying out the Ultra High Speed Sympatico (3Mbps DL/640Kbps UL) service for a couple months while it's $45 (normally $70/month), I now get 330-400KB/s while downloading from Microsofts site. Yes, I know the price is steep, and I'll probably switch back to 1.2Mbps, but in the mean time I'll get 10GB (10 upload and 10 download) of transfer instead of the 5GB they're allowing us now (and no we're not capped, we just pay for the extra downloaded GB)

From what I've been told, Rogers will also be issuing a bandwith charge due to the amount of people who just leave Kazaa (and equivilants) running all the time. But don't quote me on this. I actually do tech support for a few cable internet companies (not Rogers or Bell), and you'd be suprised how many GB of upload transfer people do without even knowing (over 100GB of just upload in some instances.....damn FTP servers)
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 01:35 AM   #19
Foc us
4th Gear Member

Yes, I did hear that rumour about Rogers going for the caps but atleast it's not official yet. My version was 6GB down and 6 GB up for their normal user and it's still 1 GB more than Sympatico.
As for the fiber optics, Rogers is way more ahead than Sympatico, since rumour said Rogers is installing Fiber Optics connecting to their junction boxes up at 16th and McCowan in the North East block for the new home areas. If it is true, then Rogers will be faster than Sympatico's ultra high speed by far. Plus, Rogers will be using the newer protocol (doc sys) soon.
Even DSL was more capable in theory, Bell is so cheap that they didn't upgrade their phone lines in the first place, that's why it's pretty shi*ty for the connection. I never see anything this bad in the states since adsl isps did invested alot in just wirings. That's why in the states DSL rocks and cable sux there.
It costs $2 for Sympatico each GB and they charged $8 on us, they just rip us off. I don't mind paying extra for extra downloads, just that 8 bucks plus tax wil be pretty close to 10 bucks so it's not worth it to go over.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:50 AM   #20
Furious
BMW again.

too be honest if roger could figure out a system they would kill the competition i.e. bell.. there network can handle way more than two peices of copper wire.. co-axle has the advantage.. as for reliablility,,, bell far exceeds rogers,,and this come first hand from both bell and rogers customers,, and to be honest youll find way more ex-rogers customers than ex-bell customers,, belll does suck but their the better of the two.. IMO
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 06:41 AM   #21
Foc us
4th Gear Member

That is extremely correct, Furious. I stick with Bell is only because of their capability in connecting to multiple computers without running a Router or a server. Except for that, it's only advantage is the rare outage.
Rogers on the other hand is it's speed, if they're really upgrading their protocols into doc sys, I'll be buying my modem and switching into rogers. Unless bell cranks up the speed.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:58 AM   #22
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Quote:
Originally posted by Foc us
That is extremely correct, Furious. I stick with Bell is only because of their capability in connecting to multiple computers without running a Router or a server.
i dont see what the big deal is about running a router
they're really inexpensive right now, under $100
and you can keep your connection alive all the time without having your computer on, just the router. Plus all you need to do is start your computer to be connected because it works like a LAN, which also has benefits of being able to share files, and run lan games at home =)

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 11:17 PM   #23
mogie
Woodbumbling at Mazda

Send a message via ICQ to mogie Send a message via MSN to mogie
Hey Gamite,

I had the same problem with Sim- when I "returned the Modem"
If ya don't find that receipt they are going to bug yur ass forever. I know I had the same crap happen. Good luck man find that bill.
Next time it is easier to just return it directly to a BELL store.

Mogie
Old 07-08-2002, 05:25 AM   #24
Gamite

Quote:
Originally posted by mogie
Hey Gamite,

I had the same problem with Sim- when I "returned the Modem"
If ya don't find that receipt they are going to bug yur ass forever. I know I had the same crap happen. Good luck man find that bill.
Next time it is easier to just return it directly to a BELL store.

Mogie
I asked them if I could return it to a Bell store, but they said that I could only return it by main.. but last week I called them and they said they'd do an investigation and guess what???

BELL REFUNDED MY $345!!

I'm so relieved, now I can sleep soundly.

Hey Foc us, I run multiple computers with Rogers no problem.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 06:41 PM   #25
Furious
BMW again.

hey gamite glad to hear you got your cash back,, good ol Ma-Bell is pretty stingy..
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 08:30 PM   #26
Gamite

Yeah thanks, I'm just waiting for my visa bill to drop back down to normal.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: