Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-02-2004, 05:49 PM   #1
chromius
6th Gear Member

325 stroker conversion

Hey guys, I'm trying to clairify a few things, and havn't had much success, there are so many varying opinions. I know there are a few people on max that have done the conversion, so here is what I need to know....
I have an 88' 325 "super eta" it has the "e" block, and an "I" head. Now from what I understand to convert this to the stroker "i" I need to replace the cam with a 325i cam, I need to switch to stiffer or duel valve springs, and change the ECU to a 325i ECU.

Now here is where I need some clairification, does the crank need to be changed to accomodate the higher revs or will the stock crank work? I have heard many say that you need to change to a forged crank like out of a 524td. Also do the fuel injectors need to be changed to 325i specs or not?

Any help would be appreciated, and anything else I should know.
Thanks.

Last edited by chromius; 02-02-2004 at 07:26 PM.
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:35 PM   #2
jimmyd1
2nd Gear Member

I would probably go ahead and look to do the crank swap prior to swapping the cam. Also, I would consider dropping in a higher compression piston. Try this site. www.strictlyeta.net/328i_1.html
I think this will help you out quite a bit. Some machine work will be required to fit the seven journal bearing cam into the four bearing head. You will probably want to do a port an polish, three angle valve job, and maybe deck your head (up to .50 mm) provided you match your pistons if you do this, to increase performance. Also, adding an adjustable fuel pressure reg, air fuel ratio guage, ECU and performance chip(and wiring harness), M30 AFM or M20 MAF from PRO-M and full exhaust from a 325i(e30) will make the swap fully functional.

Lotsa work=Lotsa fun!!!!!
jimmyd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
jimmyd1
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, went off on a tangent. You can actually do the swap w/out changing the crank out. I would have the machine work on the head done though. As for the fuel system, unless you switch from a low impedence(my understanding all "e" series have low impedence)to high impedence "i" which would incorporate changing the wiring harness, ecu and adding in a pulse sensor on the vibration damper, I would just swap the stock fpr out w/an adjustable. You probably will see an improvement, but not get "i" performance out of the cam, valve spring swap. Best of luck. Hope all goes well.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:46 PM   #4
chromius
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the info, unfortunatly that site is for doing a 325e to "i" conversion, so a lot of that dosn't apply, since the "super eta" already has the "i" head. and the pistons will work, but I guess higher compression ones might be better...I could probably acheive the same thing by shaving the head.

So the crank definitly needs to be changed then...I got a lot of work ahead of me..

edit: Sorry, just saw your second post...Thanks man!

Last edited by chromius; 02-05-2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:56 PM   #5
chromius
6th Gear Member

I think I would go for the Adj, FPR instaead....much easier, and if I got a Air Ratio meter I could tune it just right....Cuz I would assume..but not sure, that the fuel mixture would lean out quite a bit once the engine revs up to "i" specs.

So if I put in the Adj FPR I wouldn't need to change the ECU? I guess I would just have to get a custom chip that bumps the rev limit up to "i" specs right?

Last edited by chromius; 02-05-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:53 PM   #6
jimmyd1
2nd Gear Member

Chromius, I would also be concerned with the fact that your car redlines @ 5300 rpm? Chip definitely would help since the powerband of the 325i is from between 3500- 5800 rpm. You might want to look at incorporating the injectors from a 533i and doing the AFM conversion from the same vehicle(with the internals from your eta). Static fuel pressure for a 325i is 3 bar. Check if the your car actually has a low impedence system. If the system is high impedence, then swapping injectors and possible the AFM just got a whole lot easier.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
BLAGUSS
2nd Gear Member

Let' say You get dinan chip and intake is the goin to be close performance of a 325i ? How much power can those two get you .
BLAGUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd1
Chromius, I would also be concerned with the fact that your car redlines @ 5300 rpm? Chip definitely would help since the powerband of the 325i is from between 3500- 5800 rpm. You might want to look at incorporating the injectors from a 533i and doing the AFM conversion from the same vehicle(with the internals from your eta). Static fuel pressure for a 325i is 3 bar. Check if the your car actually has a low impedence system. If the system is high impedence, then swapping injectors and possible the AFM just got a whole lot easier.
Well I have a Chip and intake right now, but the chip only increases the fuel cutoff to about 5600 RPM....but with the 2.7L engine the power band would be different with my car after the "i" conversion, should it not? It should be a much flatter tourque curve.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:08 AM   #9
jimmyd1
2nd Gear Member

Yep,sure. Powerband would be higher with the "i" cam. More high end horses less low end torque. You might want to think about swapping the harness, getting the head milled and extensive head work if you do this. If you do, you'll have one mean machine.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:49 AM   #10
LukeE30IX
2nd Gear Member

I had a a chance to buy a 524td from a girl here in my town.
I lost intrest and found out later she sold it for $50.
i was shocked after i heard that.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:05 AM   #11
jimmyd1
2nd Gear Member

For an ix,i'm not sure that I would do anything but possibly add performance mods, including chip, injectors, cam?, and possibly gearing(a real PAIN). IX is similar to dealing w/ a 4x4. You have to consider that you a transfer case, and a front axle will create more drag. Most of the folks I know that have done the swap w/ the injectors and M30 AFM are real happy. HTH
Old 02-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #12
chromius
6th Gear Member

well, I think if I did the cam/valve springs, ecu etc....I would have to change the injectors anyway, because I think the stock injectors on the m20 eta are pretty much maxed out in terms of flow rate, so I would be running pretty lean in the high rpm range.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:31 PM   #13
chromius
6th Gear Member

I have no real problem with doing all that, its just gonna take some time, I just don't really want to have to change the crank.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:07 PM   #14
jimmyd1
2nd Gear Member

Swap the harness, ecu, sensors, injectors, AFM conversion, head work and exhaust. I promise that you will not be dissapointed. A local wrecking yard should have everything you need,and for a reasonable price.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: