Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-27-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
Casehogue
1st Gear Newbie

Thumbs up The Future of BMW

Hey BMW Fans,

My name is Casey Hogue and I am a student at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, CA. I am working on a sponsored project for BMW and would love it if I could get some input from some devoted Bimmer enthusiasts. I have a few questions that if answered would be put directly to use in my work. Answer one question, answer them alló anything you have to say would be great.

1) Why BMW? Why have you purchased cars from BMW in the past, and what about them will sway your decisions in the future?

2) Why not Audi/Mercedes Benz?

3) Could you elaborate on your buying experience? Where you convinced at a dealership, or did you decided before you bought? Was it the advertising, the Image, or maybe the history of BMW that influenced your choices?

4) What would you like to see in the future designs of the 3 series (Sedan Interior/exterior design)?

Thanks, I truly appreciate it.
Casey Hogue
hogue@artcenter.edu
Casehogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:51 AM   #2
JazzM
6th Gear Member

1. BMW's motorsport tradition and driving experiance. Vehicle acting and handling as an extention of the driver. Well rounded, supperior handling, reliability and performance

2. Couch with wheels... need I say more? Audi is a performance volkswagen, mercedes is a performance luxury car...

3. I knew what I wanted to get from the start.

4. In terms of design, I'd like BMW to desgin a bit more around the classics (ie. e30). Perhaps even re-engineer and release the e30 M3 again? ... or something along those lines. A lot of BMW enthusiasts long for the 'true' M3

Best regards,
Old 01-27-2004, 02:20 AM   #3
HIM
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to HIM Send a message via MSN to HIM
The overall feel of the car is what persuaded me. Got a used 94' 320i and loved it so much that we decided to trade it in for a new 330i. Good reputation, good service, the car looks great, it feels nice and heavy on the hwy, performance, and the list goes on and on. Also got a deal cause we have connections with t+c Bmw

Erwin Lee
HIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
MorningCruiser
6th Gear Member

1. Motorsports history. They're a true german sports car (e30 m3 anyways...).

2. Audi to me is a suped up VW, and I cannot afford an equivilent MB.

3. I don't think I'll ever buy a new BMW because of treatment at the dealerships here. Because I am young they basically tell me to get out. I have not bought yet, but I am extremely decided on an E30, the original modern BMW, only car that can be made into a true track car without spending extreme money. That and they just look splendid.

4. E30 M3, remade. Something closer to the E30 at least...
MorningCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
nseverin
2nd Gear Member

glad you asked!
If you are in to motorsports you will love to drive a BMW. I have driven many cars. (including the ones you mentioned.) but none
of them handle, look , feel as sporty as a BM.
The car feels so solid in corners (I love corners) and accelerates so smooth out of the turns. The shifter is so smooth also. I when I let my friends drive them, their wives call me upset because now their husbands want to buy one.
The style of the car is also amazing. Through out the years each generation looks better and better. Each generations style also stays in style for a decade or more.
If I think of anything I'll let you know, but I don't want to keep rambling on. Buy one and you'll see.
nseverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:02 PM   #6
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Re: The Future of BMW

Well to sum it up, there is not really a choice out there! Most cars are Front wheel drive, they have bad weight dist., or they are just plain ugly with strange looking plastic body pannels. I didn't usto be so picky.. but now I seriously get annoyed when i drive most other cars (expecially domestic). And why shouldn't I, it's my money and i'm not going to spend it on the garbage most companys make.

Benz are too expensive and not sporty enough.

I've owned a 2000 Audi A4 and it was a beautifull car.. The new BMW's could somewhat benifit from Audi's styling and class.. but the Audi lacked the fun factor bmw's have, I found the car to be too heavy and it lacked the responsive feed back you get from a bmw.

I usually ignore half of what salesman say at the dealership.. Just cut me a good deal! but then again not all bmw buyers know the vehicles like us Maxbimmer guys.

For the new 3? I would like to see some nice clean lines, an agressive stance like the current 3, A nice looking - small trunk (not the huge/ugly 5,6, and 7 series style), good visibility for the driver is extreamly important!!!, Something small enough to be sporty (not concerned about rear passangers in a 3), and it's gotta be under 3100 lbs!

I would like an E30 like car back in production.. with a face lift and drivetrain upgrade, but i know that'll never happen. Becase people don't realize it's superior to all the other 3 series cars. It is the purest of driving machines!

Last edited by Slowered318; 01-27-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:20 PM   #7
Soldo
6th Gear Member

1) BMW, The ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE, need i say more?!

2) Personally, i think the audi's are great cars, but not for reliability, and CURRENTLY, mercedes is startin to rub me right, and if i was in the market for purchasing a 2004 vehicle (which i'm NOT, i like the older cars a lot better) i would probably consider a nice E class.

3) At first, in all honesty, i knew bmw's were great cars, and when i first purchased my BMW, i was convinced at the dealer, and i liked them mostly cause of the looks, the image didn't concern me too much. After buying my second bmw, i was a little bit more wiser and purchased it because of how incredibly SAFE the car is!

4) The future designs in ALL BMW's that i would like to see is pretty much the same, in the past, bmw has managed to keep a conservative look to their cars, and IMO always looked very sharp and clean, they have gone a lil too outrageous, and seem to be tryin to please the AMERCIAN market more, i would like to see BMW go back to their original GERMAN designing!
Old 01-27-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Here Casey.. just trace this and submit it!

Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:38 PM   #9
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Re: The Future of BMW

1) Why BMW? Why have you purchased cars from BMW in the past, and what about them will sway your decisions in the future?

price, looks, sportiness, resale value, features, HP...etc. etc. basically bang for the buck has always and will always sway my decisions

I'd love a merc or an audi, one of those may very well be next. I have no overt loyalty to BMW.

3) Could you elaborate on your buying experience? Where you convinced at a dealership, or did you decided before you bought? Was it the advertising, the Image, or maybe the history of BMW that influenced your choices?
I bought my car because it had the most features in its price range. That is not the case when buying a new BMW these days.

4) What would you like to see in the future designs of the 3 series (Sedan Interior/exterior design)?
how about some more features... like making it the first car to ave DVD/navi. standard equip? you get the idea.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:47 PM   #10
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

I would like to see an E30 like-minded vehicle from BMW, but with all the latest technology. It would be good to have this type of car added to their existing line for those purists
Old 01-27-2004, 07:05 PM   #11
BiBimBap
4th Gear Member

1. BMW because I wanted a rear wheeled drive car that handled better than 90% of all the cars out there. Plus the car just looks awesome.

2. I was pretty close to getting an A4 - the quattro in Canada really makes it's case here. But in the end, I wanted a coupe - and there's always good snow tires. As for MB - I'm not too keen on the designs. A bit too stuffy for my taste. Plus the 'comfort' and luxury' is slightly more important for MB than handling.

3. Buying experience was simple. I found my car. I haggled a bit. I bought it. I hate car dealerships period. Everyone is trying to make the dollar and a half. Knowing that 'striking a great deal' means that the sales guy just made $3000 instead of $4000 on a sale. So far I've had crap experience with most BMW dealership. Maybe it's the way i dress or whatever.. but BMW has it's snobbery attached to the other common problems of all dealerships.

4. Future designs? I'm not so sure. Retro seems "in" these days - esp with Ford's Mustang, GT40, T-Bird etc etc. I know the purists want a reincarnated E30 M3 - but the market for these 40K+ cars are mainly for people who want to look good in their cars (sad - but true) - and no one will buy an gussed-up 2002.

In fact, most BMW drivers out there have NO idea what their cars are capable of. Just no clue. So if you're playing to the market that's gonna buy the cars - just keep flaring the body a bit like Bangle does and they'll keep buying.

But if you want to grab the purists.. keep Function before Form. That means simple uncluttered interior TOTALLY focused on the driver and it's controls. Kill half the single-function buttons and concentrate on multi-function knobs and switches (although don't clump them ALL in like the dreaded i-drive)

Keep the sightlines wide open for the driver and avoid the big-windshield syndrome that most japanese cars have - gets too foggy and has glare issues.

Keep the exterior simple without too many added body fillers - like vents or door moldings. The current E46 M3 moldings are as about as perfect as you can get. Do not shave the moldings! Euro-looking cars have the visible beltline that make the car look sturdy since the beltline is approximately the same or smaller than the skirtline.

Anyways, I've rambled enough. The current M3 is my fav design so far.
BiBimBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:39 PM   #12
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
Originally posted by BiBimBap
So far I've had crap experience with most BMW dealership. Maybe it's the way i dress or whatever.. but BMW has it's snobbery attached to the other common problems of all dealerships.
Same here. BMW could really use a lesson from Merc or Lexus in this department.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:37 PM   #13
bimmerdude
4th Gear Member

BMW History prior ownership of a E30 325e , M Power just the strongest letter in the world, My decision for a future bimmer will be if they continue to turn out with nice competitive models as they are doing now

Eh never really caught me my dad has a benz and i feel too much money and not enough sport / technology, my dad has a e320 and my bmw is still more advanced than his car with all my obc and stuff, audi like others said is a nicer Vw and not liking the fact that there awd its not me i guess.

My Buying experience on my side was good in some bmw dealers some were friendly and server me right away even if i am not buying they still come and great me and invite me inside with a 98 bmw i have, while i go to another dealership next to me also and they are very arrogant, just because i look young dosent mean i dont deserve the same respect as anyother bmw customer. I decided before i bought through my past experience with bmw. It was the image the icon the car is and the GIRLS it can get lol, eh plus its its a cool car.lol

I would like to see the same agressive look on it, maybe with also a possible rebirth of some older 3ers such as they did with the 6er like some of our other members mentioned but just keep it agressive and sporty and i will like it!

btw i dont like the 1 series

and btw let us know how u did on this report man!

Viva BMW!
Thanks E46_Lover for the awesome sig
My ///M5 fund has begun estimated time : 2 years

BMW M Power

Last edited by bimmerdude; 01-27-2004 at 11:45 PM.
bimmerdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: