Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-23-2004, 12:14 AM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Just got my ECU back from EuroSpeed

I bought an M50 manifold kit from Eurospeed as part of a groupbuy. I sent out my ECU last week and I just got it back. I got my ECU socketed so I could swap out chips at will without having to reflash my ECU. Anyway, the software was done by Karl at AA, and optimised for the M50 manifold. The kit itself propbably isn't as nice as the JC cam kit, in terms of how the manifold is connected, but hopefully it works. If all goes well I'm going to freeze my ass off in the garage tomorrow and try to get it installed. I'll take pics along the way.

Anyway, I just wanted to show you guys what the socketed ECU looks like. You can see where the socket was soldered in at the bottom left of the ECU, there is the M50 chip in there at the moment. I was also sent a chip with the stock program too just incase.

Appearently people are making 198rwhp with this kit, but with a little torque loss. I'm getting cams soon (hopefully) and getting a new chip for them, which appearently clears up the torque loss issue. The kit was like $600US, but I paid an extra $100 to get the ECU socketed, and I bought the M50 manifold itself locally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ecu.jpg (191.1 KB, 233 views)
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 12:48 AM   #2
finale36
2nd Gear Member

socketting surface mount conponents is a horrible pain in the rear, certainly worth the $100 premium for the convience.
finale36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:14 AM   #3
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

eh nelson, isnt this part of the process to convert to obd1??? same kinda gains it seems.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:21 AM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by windsor318is
eh nelson, isnt this part of the process to convert to obd1??? same kinda gains it seems.
Well, yes and no. My car will still remain OBD2, this is still the OEM ECU. And the M50 manifold just flows better, but it sorta sucks in the lower powerband without software. If I wanted to run full OBD1 I've have to get an ECU from a 325 or something and swap the whole wiring harness etc... This way my car still remains legal.

The socketing part isn't manditory, I just like the idea of being able to run 2 or 3 (or more) different programs just by switching the chip. Like have a street chip, and auto-x chip, etc.... And I doubt AA is going to sell me their laptop based ECU flashing utility cheaply. I'd love to run something like an IBE ChipSwitch where I can just swap programs just by turning off the car and using a remote, but it's only available for VW/Audi/Porsche at the moment.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 01-23-2004, 05:25 AM   #5
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally posted by thinair

The socketing part isn't manditory, I just like the idea of being able to run 2 or 3 (or more) different programs just by switching the chip. Like have a street chip, and auto-x chip, etc.... And I doubt AA is going to sell me their laptop based ECU flashing utility cheaply. I'd love to run something like an IBE ChipSwitch where I can just swap programs just by turning off the car and using a remote, but it's only available for VW/Audi/Porsche at the moment.
Yeah, those guys at APR are amazing. They can allow you to choose what Octane program you want to run on your audi by simply playing around with the cruise control lever. Talk about being stealth!
Old 01-23-2004, 05:32 AM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
Yeah, those guys at APR are amazing. They can allow you to choose what Octane program you want to run on your audi by simply playing around with the cruise control lever. Talk about being stealth!
I've seen it be used with coded keys. Like the valet key runs little to no boost, limits at 3000rpm and 60km/h for example. I like that idea a lot more.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:24 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well I've decided that I'm not going to attempt the manifold install today, mostly due to the cold (-20C). I do have a heated garage, but it is going to be like a 4-6 hour install, so I'll wait for some warmer weather so I don't have to run that heater for so long. I'm just going to swap the chip back to stock and put the ECU back in.

I'll keep you folks informed.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:05 PM   #8
97 Z3 2.8
2nd Gear Member

Hey Nelson,
Let me know what you think about the software when you're done.
I've done the manifold and cams, AA is something I'm looking at for my tuning.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 01-24-2004, 04:58 AM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by 97 Z3 2.8
Hey Nelson,
Let me know what you think about the software when you're done.
I've done the manifold and cams, AA is something I'm looking at for my tuning.

Thanks,

Bill
So you're running cams and the manifold without upgraded software? Does the car pull a lot harder with the cams/manifold? Any loss in torque? And did you install both the cams and manifold at the same time?

Right now I only have two chips, one with the stock program and one with the m50 manifold program. In the spring I'm going to order the M3 cam and M50 manifold chip, then hit up a dyno and dyno test all three chips. Chip swapping is quick while the ECU is out.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:31 AM   #10
Peter1998
3rd Gear Member

Sept Dyno for my 328is... 25 C that day i think, and very very low on gas... >_<
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car dyno...jpg (111.9 KB, 276 views)
Peter1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:34 AM   #11
Peter1998
3rd Gear Member

Old one

Old 01-27-2004, 01:53 PM   #12
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter1998
Sept Dyno for my 328is... 25 C that day i think, and very very low on gas... >_<
What modifications did you have when you went to the dyno to get that power, and what dyno did you go too? Those are some really good numbers. Are you running any software yet? And who's?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:04 PM   #13
Peter1998
3rd Gear Member

eff: HorseHp mod: Custom Fit heatshield + K&N Intake, M50 Manifold, S52 Cam, Fan Deleted, Superchips Custom reProgram, 10W40 Sy Oil, OBX header(Ebay), OBX Exhaust(Ebay). 94 Sunoco (10L Left in tank i think)

non-eff: 3.91 LSD Diff, UUC flywheel + M5 Clutch, AMS drivetrain Sy oils.

Dyno in Japaness Auto, with DynoPack the one TMS is using.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: