Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-15-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Bimmersport (aka Charlie) or anyone else need help

I am planning on doing the mods below guys:

- M diff and half shafts ( they are ****ed. Very lose and causing a thud noise )

- M calipers and spindles

My question to Charlie or anyone else is

1. If I change the spindles I will have no problem fitting on M calipers right?? and will it fit within a 16" wheel.

2. I want to change my diff to an LSD 3:15, 3:23 or 3:38. If I where to change the diff would I have to change the half shafts as well ?? Is the housing bigger on the M diff. I need to replace my half shafts anyways so I plan on doing it all.

Thanks guys
Old 01-15-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Re: Bimmersport (aka Charlie) or anyone else need help

Quote:
Originally posted by greekthang

My question to Charlie or anyone else is

1. If I change the spindles I will have no problem fitting on M calipers right?? and will it fit within a 16" wheel.

2. I want to change my diff to an LSD 3:15, 3:23 or 3:38. If I where to change the diff would I have to change the half shafts as well ?? Is the housing bigger on the M diff. I need to replace my half shafts anyways so I plan on doing it all.
I'm not Charlie, but I'll give it a try.

I have a M spindles and calipers to install. Once you get spindles, the calipers bolt on no problem. Regarding 16" wheels, I don't think the caliper will clear the stock 16" sport rim. I can check it for you sometime though.

Regarding the diff, the 328 and M3 diffs are basically the same (externally). The only thing you have to watch out for is the number of bolts on the input shaft (driveshaft). There are 4 and 6 bolt flanges. If your current is 4 bolt and you get a diff with a 6 bolt flange, you can just pull the flanges off the diffs and swap them. I have an M3 3.15 diff on my car by the way.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Re: Re: Bimmersport (aka Charlie) or anyone else need help

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
I'm not Charlie, but I'll give it a try.

I have a M spindles and calipers to install. Once you get spindles, the calipers bolt on no problem. Regarding 16" wheels, I don't think the caliper will clear the stock 16" sport rim. I can check it for you sometime though.

Regarding the diff, the 328 and M3 diffs are basically the same (externally). The only thing you have to watch out for is the number of bolts on the input shaft (driveshaft). There are 4 and 6 bolt flanges. If your current is 4 bolt and you get a diff with a 6 bolt flange, you can just pull the flanges off the diffs and swap them. I have an M3 3.15 diff on my car by the way.
Awesome pal thank you for your input no matter if your Charlie or not. I don't think the calipers will clear my rims though. I am worried about the winter rims mostly. As for the diff I think it should give me big time acceleration ?? Did you notice a big acceleration difference Thinair

thanks again
Old 01-15-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Re: Re: Re: Bimmersport (aka Charlie) or anyone else need help

Quote:
As for the diff I think it should give me big time acceleration ?? Did you notice a big acceleration difference Thinair
Mkgino and I did a second gear pull at Bimmercruise. We went from idle in second gear to redline. I had a car length on him, maybe a little more. You'll have to ask him, he was behind so he had a better view of how far ahead I was.

We both have 97 328is', he has an intake, exhaust, and fan delete, I had an exhaust, debaffled airbox (at the time), 3.15 diff, and the fan delete.

When it gets warmer (like not -20ļC) I'll go into the garage and pull out the 16" spare I have and bolt it up to the spindle I have (with the rotor and caliper bolted on too. I'll let you know if it fits.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 01-15-2004, 06:08 PM   #5
98323IS
6th Gear Member

I noticed some with my 3:15 rear end. It will help for sure it revs a little bit quicker. If I were you though I would opt for the 3:23 or the 3:38. The 3:15 is good but now I find myself wanting the 3:23 or the 3:38. Hope this helps a little bit. Cheers
98323IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 06:17 PM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by 98323IS
The 3:15 is good but now I find myself wanting the 3:23 or the 3:38.
Me too, I actually found a 3.38, but I just didn't want to part with $1200 at the time. I wish I had the spare cash, I would've sold my 3.15 so fast and paid the difference for the 3.38. I don't really want to get a diff until I can afford both the diff and a finned diff cover.

By the way, appearently a stock 328 with a diff 3.46 will keep up with a stock M3, until like about 200km/h or so.

The limited slip alone makes it worth it though. I couldn't imagine running an open diff in auto-x. When I raced my truck I had one wheel peels around every corner, and that thing is only like 90 hp.

Last edited by thinair; 01-15-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:28 PM   #7
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Well this guy has a 3:23 and it is LSD so I am excited to see how well it will work guys. Thinair if you could find out if the wheel will fit with the M calipers that would be great. Please let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 07:38 PM   #8
WASABI
OG

3.23 or 3.38 ... I want either. You can also get a custom one, I think Quaiffe makes them. GR8RIDE has a custom one, I think 3.46 not sure by whom though.

Have you contacted VP M3 yet for the brakes, he may have the shafts still. I think he's parting out a '97 M3.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WASABI
3.23 or 3.38 ... I want either. You can also get a custom one, I think Quaiffe makes them. GR8RIDE has a custom one, I think 3.46 not sure by whom though.

Have you contacted VP M3 yet for the brakes, he may have the shafts still. I think he's parting out a '97 M3.
Hey WASABI whats up pal. I want to get this diff and half shafts out of the way first then think about the brakes.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:53 PM   #10
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Hey WASABI whats up pal. I want to get this diff and half shafts out of the way first then think about the brakes.
Braking/safety first, then speed mods.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:02 PM   #11
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Hey thinair trust me pal I know exactly what your saying but I have to buy these both as a package deal. I will pick up brakes and get them installed before summertime trust me.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #12
SpudBoy
Couped up

Send a message via ICQ to SpudBoy
Quote:
no point in going if ya can't stop just as fast

SpudBoy
'99 M Coupe - Imola/Imola
Signature Pictures by Alezone

original BMW parts