Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-15-2004, 07:23 PM   #1
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

Question need coolant

my radiator just konked out 2 days ago... i replaced it but now i'm low on coolant ($tealers must have been too cheap to top it up) ...

before i buy some coolant to top up the tank... is there anything in particular i should look for - or should i just p/u the run of the mill engine coolant

thanks
sjinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:33 AM   #2
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Need anti-freeze in this cold weather,dont opt for the 50-50 mix.
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 02:37 PM   #3
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

i found out more ... posted below fyi... i'll just head out to a dealer and buy some of the green stuff

BMW cars require antifreeze free of phosphates to prevent damage to the aluminum radiator. I would suggest using the factory stuff exclusively, especially if your car is still under the full warranty. The stuff I bought from BMW seems to made in the US anyway, probably "exclusively" to improve their profit margin.

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/f...64/coolant.htm
sjinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyvadim
Need anti-freeze in this cold weather,dont opt for the 50-50 mix.
I would have to disagree....I would not put a straight fill of antifreeze, otherwise you would have to replace it when the summer comes along....antifreeze has less cooling properties than just straight water, and in the hot summer months the engine temp would be much higher than it should be. a 50/50 mix is good down till -35 degrees celcius. if need be change the mix to 60% antifreeze to 40% water, and this will be good enough for the coldest of days....but in the summer you might notice an increase in temp. for most applications a 50/50 mix is just perfect though. In hot summer months a lot of high load engines use 10% antifreeze to 90% water to prevent overheating.

just a thought.

Last edited by chromius; 01-16-2004 at 02:55 PM.
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:45 PM   #5
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Quote:
Originally posted by chromius_e30
I would have to disagree....I would not put a straight fill of antifreeze, otherwise you would have to replace it when the summer comes along....antifreeze has less cooling properties than just straight water, and in the hot summer months the engine temp would be much higher than it should be. a 50/50 mix is good down till -35 degrees celcius. if need be change the mix to 60% antifreeze to 40% water, and this will be good enough for the coldest of days....but in the summer you might notice an increase in temp. for most applications a 50/50 mix is just perfect though. In hot summer months a lot of high load engines use 10% antifreeze to 90% water to prevent overheating.

just a thought.
I always drained my anti-freeze come summer time but for people that dont,60/40 mix is good for the winter.
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: