Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2004, 03:17 PM   #31
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Here's some very useful information in a thread we started on Bimmerforums. It's all about the modified M42 AKA the BTCC race S42 motor.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...5&pagenumber=1

You should find it very useful...

Bryan
I realide that my engin is a M10 and yours is either M42 or M44 (same diff I say) but do you think any of this would hold true for my 18-21 year old motor.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:26 PM   #32
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

I thought the M42 was not the prefered motor to place a supercharger/turbocharger onto because of knocking, pinging, and possiblity detonation (or explotion), or is it certain years of the M42 are ok for FI.

---

ADD: Did anyone mintion a AMF/MAF swap any increase? I believe that if BMWs were equipped with the same intake design as the one on Supra's with a shield there would be a slightly noticable increase in power (minus the location because of water, snow, sleet, ice, etc.).

Last edited by BladeRunner; 01-09-2004 at 03:30 PM.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #33
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by BladeRunner
I realide that my engin is a M10 and yours is either M42 or M44 (same diff I say) but do you think any of this would hold true for my 18-21 year old motor.
I'm not too familiar with the M10 motor. I just know it once produced an awesome 1200HP in a '83 formula 1 car. I know the M10 motor is very strong indeed. What's the compression ratio of the M10? The M42 is 10.5:1 I think, I forget.

Anyways, there is a popular supercharger kit for the M42/M44 which produces 175RWHP and it runs at around 7-8psi which is relatively low. This uses the Eaton blower with a kit designed by Downing Atlanta. It's true the M42 doens't like to be turbocharged. I've heard from people who have turbocharged the motor have run into a lot of problems.

The M42 motor was made to be revved. It's been used on the race track in BTCC for 3 years. It was the 2.0L S42 they called it, which was just a highly tunned M42 motor. Just before that they were using the S14 motor in their E36 chassis.

After reading some articles, I read that the M42 motor's technology was based on the 850 motor, I don't know how true this is, but that's what I read. I think the M10 and M42 motors are really quite different.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:31 PM   #34
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by BladeRunner
I thought the M42 was not the prefered motor to place a supercharger/turbocharger onto because of knocking, pinging, and possiblity detonation (or explotion), or is it certain years of the M42 are ok for FI.

---

ADD: Did anyone mintion a AMF/MAF swap any increase? I believe that if BMWs were equipped with the same intake design as the one on Supra's with a shield there would be a slightly noticable increase in power (minus the location because of water, snow, sleet, ice, etc.).
There was a long discussion about that MAF, it would seem it's a huge restriction on the M42 motor. A lot of people were talking about having custom ones made.
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:41 AM   #35
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

Fuel comsumption has dropped I have noticed. I would say it has almost doubled, but if gas in your area is cheaply priced who cares. I wouold say my sad 0-60 time has gone from 11sec I believe they say to 8-10secs (human counting here).

One more thing your engine will get a little hotter, which might be good for those of you drive your car likes its a M3, meaning you hit 5000+rpm freqeuntly. Moreover, the heater get hotter too.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:43 PM   #36
blackshark
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to blackshark
fuse swaping for higher ratet one ?

Quote:
Here's something that hasn't been posted yet. Switch out the (15 amp brown) fuel delivery fuse (9) in your fuse box for a higher rated one.
It is ok during winter but in hot weather the wiring might melt
because of higher amps going

but hey this is chipest mod i ever heard
blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:48 PM   #37
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Knocking, pinging, and detonation has nothing to do with the engine itself. If the fuel delivery is not properly tuned any engine will ping, knock, and eventually melt a piston or two.

Moreover, m42 is a very good engine to turbo/supercharge because it has a forged crank. All you need is some low compression pistons and a couple more internal items here and there. Then 250rwh is easily archivable.
SL

[quote]Originally posted by BladeRunner
[b]I thought the M42 was not the prefered motor to place a supercharger/turbocharger onto because of knocking, pinging, and possiblity detonation (or explotion), or is it certain years of the M42 are ok for FI.

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:33 PM   #38
blacknblue-e30
Just black, No blue

Send a message via MSN to blacknblue-e30
get a porsche gt2 to pull it hehehe oh wow im tired
blacknblue-e30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: