Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-03-2004, 01:26 AM   #1
ashvina
1st Gear Newbie

Question K&N Air Filter???

hey guys...

just a quick two q's.....

what sort of performance gains should a K&N air filter be giving a 93 318is?? i've done a search on the internet with mixed reviews....some ppl say that it actually reduces the power??

and secondly, on acceleration my engine emits a sort of 'hissing' noise.....is this the air filter, or sumthin else?

cheers for any help!
-ash
Old 01-03-2004, 02:26 AM   #2
Furious
BMW again.

what type of filter? cone or flat? both will give a slight hissing sound its the air passing through it. a cone intake has a more noticeable hiss sound.

does the hiss sound fluxuate with engine idle?
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 02:51 AM   #3
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Send a message via Skype™ to crusher
i have the flat filter. gives off a little bit of the hissing sound and really addictive at certain high rpm heheh

Sold/Traded-in
2006 M5
2003 M3
2003 Civic Si
2000 M Coupe
1999 M3
1999 323i
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 03:45 AM   #4
ashvina
1st Gear Newbie

yeh.... i think its a cone one. and i don't think it is present at idle.....it only starts once i start accelerating.

whats the diff between the flat and cone filter? and have you guys noticed a power difference between the stock paper filter and the K&N one?

cheers
-ash
Old 01-03-2004, 04:18 AM   #5
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
If your using a cone filter make sure you make an effective heat shield. Without a heat shield the cone intake is worse than your stock airbox. A lot of people buy K&N cone filters because they growl more when accelerating. It will make a hissing sound too.

As for power gains on a "stock" motor, there's barely any. If the temperature and humidity outside is perfect, you will notice the car pulls harder at night time when the air is cool and there is low humidity. During the day driving around the city at 60km/h or less, you'll probably notice a slight power loss because your sucking in hot air from the engine. Your car will feel sluggish.

The cone filter is commonly known as the "racing" air filter setup because when your racing on the track there is a constant supply of fresh cool air from the outside. In most cases a heat shield isn't needed. But for street use, a heat shield is a must. Otherwise I suggest just using a drop-in filter.

With the drop-in filter you don't get the growl you would get from the cone filter. Another downside is the smaller surface area of the filter which is restricted by the stock airbox. A cone filter is also referred to as a free flow filter, there are no air restrictions. But protecting the filter from the heat produced by the engine is a major concern.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 01-03-2004 at 04:25 AM.
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:21 AM   #6
HooliGaN*
GILF HUNTER

Send a message via ICQ to HooliGaN* Send a message via MSN to HooliGaN*
bryan you said that perfectly
took the words out of my mouth

ya autotechnica is right

depends what your going for
the k&n filter could give u two different outcomes

Julian
HooliGaN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:42 AM   #7
ashvina
1st Gear Newbie

cool...

so is it easy for me to "make" that heat shield...or is it a professional job??
secondly....how much $$?

cheers
-ash
Old 01-03-2004, 06:13 AM   #8
Furious
BMW again.

your hissing sound could be mistaken as the alternator, open your hood while running and you should be able to distinguish between the two (even though they are so close together)
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: