Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-01-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
jdmls
1st Gear Newbie

High Km !! What to do ? Please Help

Hi Guys, I just registered to this site but have been visiting it quite often the last couple of months, I am currently in the proccess of purchasing a 325 or 328is hopefully between 94-97.

I am currently looking at a car : 97 328is with 104km but the car has various signs of being well aged !! Pedal wear, steering wheel wear, shifter nob is quite beat up, and the exterior is original paint but is fading slightly.

My question is if there is any way to tamper with the odometer on an e36 any year , to read less kilometers. I have never heard of it but if there is a way then atleast i can take this into consideration while looking for a used e36 !

Thanks
jdmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 10:02 PM   #2
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Re: High Km !! What to do ? Please Help

It is possible.

1) Go to Ministry of Transportation and get a user car package, it's about 20 bucks. This will tell you the number of owners this car has had up to today. You might also get lucky and get some milage numbers along with that.

2) Talk to the previous owner and see if there are any records like service reciepts, etc.

3) Also don't forget that it is quite possible that the car does have original 104km on the odometer but it was just driven short distrances. It could've been used only for city driving. This will account for all the wear and tear inside the car.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by jdmls
Hi Guys, I just registered to this site but have been visiting it quite often the last couple of months, I am currently in the proccess of purchasing a 325 or 328is hopefully between 94-97.

I am currently looking at a car : 97 328is with 104km but the car has various signs of being well aged !! Pedal wear, steering wheel wear, shifter nob is quite beat up, and the exterior is original paint but is fading slightly.

My question is if there is any way to tamper with the odometer on an e36 any year , to read less kilometers. I have never heard of it but if there is a way then atleast i can take this into consideration while looking for a used e36 !

Thanks
KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 10:05 PM   #3
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

What about a service history? With only 104k there should be a service history from when the car was under warranty. About the appearance, I have a friend who bought a 98 328is a couple years ago from the dealer and it had all the things you described with only 67k. It had the service records from the dealer which is why he bought it. The thing to remember is that some take really good care of their cars and some don't give a crap. So I say if it doesn't have a service history keep looking cause there are lots of E36's out there now.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 10:36 PM   #4
sadda///M
3rd Gear Member

it's prolly a montreal car
Old 01-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #5
jdmls
1st Gear Newbie

thanks guys, i am familiar with the used car package and checking histoy and stuff .

but i still want to know if there is a way to tamper with the km and how it is done , anybody ?
Old 01-01-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

All you need to know is the right people and have about 300-500CAD in your pocket (cheaper for non-electronic odometers).

SL

Quote:
thanks guys, i am familiar with the used car package and checking histoy and stuff .

but i still want to know if there is a way to tamper with the km and how it is done , anybody ?

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:14 PM   #7
Mikester
7th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mikester
GET THE 328IS!
Mikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 03:08 AM   #8
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Leaving the car outside instead of in a garage can cause paint and interior aging very fast.

And yes, it might have more KMS than what is says- my car is an example...it has 15,500kms more than what the odometer says because the computer/gauges was repaced (due to faulty wipers- warranty fix- which would have cost $500+).
Old 01-02-2004, 04:12 AM   #9
jdmls
1st Gear Newbie

I figured it would be the same as a domestic car with a digital odometer , where in that case u buy a new computer and program it to what ever you want it to be. I know this can be done with cavaliers, corvettes, and alot of new fords .

Would this work on an e36 ?

Could you use a computer from another e36 with less km ?
Old 01-02-2004, 04:22 AM   #10
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Quote:
I figured it would be the same as a domestic car with a digital odometer , where in that case u buy a new computer and program it to what ever you want it to be. I know this can be done with cavaliers, corvettes, and alot of new fords .

Would this work on an e36 ?

Could you use a computer from another e36 with less km ?
I don't think it's the computer on the E36 but maybe something in the cluster itself cause my car doesn't have the same computer that came from the factory but the milage is still the same. I had a problem with my temp guage not working once and Chuck (from Chucks auto if you don't know) put in a different cluster and it showed the kms from the car it came from.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:10 AM   #11
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
there are a couple options, either the previosly mentioned cluster swap, which will show whatever kilometers were on the car the gauge cluster came from. Or the previous owner drove around with a faulty speed sensor for a very long time (or unplugged the speed sensor on purpose).
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: