Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-31-2003, 11:27 PM   #16
elraton16
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to elraton16
in my opinion its very useful on the street. For example...when im about to hit an on ramp to get on to the highway, i will need to accelerate hard at the end in order to meet traffic at the right speed. Therefore when im approaching the ramp, i will "heel/toe" in order to shift SMOOTHLY from 4th to 3rd. After performing heel and toe i will be in 3rd gear smoothly and in high revs ready to floor it once i hit the highway.

there are lots of uses for this....mainly its for the track
Old 12-31-2003, 11:44 PM   #17
SpudBoy
Couped up

Send a message via ICQ to SpudBoy
true heel and toe involves braking dude and is not required for 3rd gear on the street.

Randy: Am I wrong here? (given normal driving conditions?)

SpudBoy
'99 M Coupe - Imola/Imola
Signature Pictures by Alezone

original BMW parts

To mod or not to mod? That is the question
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:49 AM   #18
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by SpudBoy
true heel and toe involves braking dude and is not required for 3rd gear on the street.

Randy: Am I wrong here? (given normal driving conditions?)

yeah it does,
i dunno why would you do it on the ramp and i dont see any point of heel and toe during regular street driving.

i sometime do big toe/small toe, but i think releasing clutch slowly is much smoother.

dunno how badly it is on the clutch though

Last edited by SickFinga; 01-01-2004 at 12:53 AM.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 05:07 AM   #19
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elraton16
in my opinion its very useful on the street. For example...when im about to hit an on ramp to get on to the highway, i will need to accelerate hard at the end in order to meet traffic at the right speed. Therefore when im approaching the ramp, i will "heel/toe" in order to shift SMOOTHLY from 4th to 3rd. After performing heel and toe i will be in 3rd gear smoothly and in high revs ready to floor it once i hit the highway.

there are lots of uses for this....mainly its for the track
I thought heel toe was to keep the car stable while braking- as hard engine braking will slow the rear wheels faster than the fronts which might cause a spin (or cause the front wheels to momentarly lose traction on FWD cars).
All braking and downshifting should be taken care before the corner- gas starts like, 1/3 into the corner.

Anyhow- I found that under 100km/h, the brakes would slow the car fast enough that engine braking would have little effect with normal downshifts. Above 100km/h and downshifts start to become a little more jerky- and every time I had to do an emergency brake at highway speeds- I would mash the brake and the clutch in- actually, I do that anytime I have to brake fast- it's second nature to prevent a stall I guess...

I'm still trying...but it's difficult as the gas pedal sticks out like, half an inch more than the brake when released...it's like- anti heel toe...grrr...and that non-adjustable steering wheel!
Old 01-01-2004, 06:56 AM   #20
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
dunno how badly it is on the clutch though
i do that as well..it all depends on the situation for me...

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:47 AM   #21
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Spudboy and Sickfinga, heel-toeing is always better/smoother then not doing it. It's easier on the clutch and on the driveline when done properly.

Even if I'm not braking, I still revmatch into a gear when downshifting to prevent the forward jerk you get from the engine trying to catch up to the wheel speed.

The only gear I don't usually heel-toe into is 1st because more often then not I'll come to a complete stop in 2nd, then shift into 1st while stopped.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 02:05 PM   #22
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Every 6 months this topic always comes up. Start reading:

http://www.318ti.org/notebook/shifting/index.html

SL
KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 07:20 PM   #23
ohya
2nd Gear Member

You don't really need to heel and toe all the time. Use single clutch then brake for normal driving. Unless you are coming to a fast turn then you use heel and toe to second for the turn.
ohya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 08:16 PM   #24
Lil'Smoothie

Quote:
Even if I'm not braking, I still revmatch into a gear when downshifting to prevent the forward jerk you get from the engine trying to catch up to the wheel speed.
Yah this is what I enjoy doing, and if you have a nice exhaust it sounds sick

I've enver attempted heel toe,
I still don't really unnderstand it, but I often use big toe little toe
It is MUCH easier to do it smoothly with an exhaust I noticed. I found it much easier with my 325is (cat back exhaust) vs my M3 (stock)
Old 01-02-2004, 01:08 AM   #25
Alezone
Capitalism

I don't drive aggressively. I do it for smoother ride for my passenger and the sound... Vroooooooooooom~

PORSCHE 981
Alezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:08 AM   #26
elraton16
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to elraton16
your not understanding me.

say your in 4th gear and you want to dip into 3rd while braking so that when ur ready to exit the turn you can get better acceleration....this is when i like to heel and toe. while im turning ive got the revs matched and in 3rd...without having the car jerk while shifting and turning.

It works...try it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: