Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-23-2003, 03:59 PM   #16
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Good Tires is a must in the winter. Why would you want to skimp on tires, when itís the only part of the car that contacts the road (four little patches is all you have)?

All Season tires are just thatÖ okay in the summer, okay in the rain, and okay in the snow.

Snow tires are meant for Ice and Snow. Iíve been running snows for 5 years, and wonít go back.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 01:11 PM   #17
MP525i
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to MP525i
Mich. Arctic Alpines suck a mean one. Had them on my E34 and I couldn't get anywhere. I've learned now and have Blizzack WS-50's on my E36. Drove home in 5 inches of snow no problem.

-Mike
Old 12-24-2003, 05:06 PM   #18
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by MP525i
Mich. Arctic Alpines suck a mean one. Had them on my E34 and I couldn't get anywhere. I've learned now and have Blizzack WS-50's on my E36. Drove home in 5 inches of snow no problem.

-Mike
I've got Michelin Arctic Alpine's on my beater and am looking forward to some serious winter driving across lawns etc.... Don't really know yet what to expect but the few inches we did get a few weeks back they seemed great. I also noticed they are VERY quite on the highway (compared to other winter tires).

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:17 PM   #19
SpudBoy
Couped up

Send a message via ICQ to SpudBoy
Quote:
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
I've got Michelin Arctic Alpine's on my beater and am looking forward to some serious winter driving across lawns etc.... Don't really know yet what to expect but the few inches we did get a few weeks back they seemed great. I also noticed they are VERY quite on the highway (compared to other winter tires).
Mine make less noise than my Toyo all weathers

SpudBoy
'99 M Coupe - Imola/Imola
Signature Pictures by Alezone

original BMW parts

To mod or not to mod? That is the question
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 10:31 PM   #20
snd84318i
3rd Gear Member

The problem with rhino liner is that any sort of rust already on your car will be "sealed" under the sprayed on liner just eating away at the unprotected metal. I guess it might work for a newer car, but why go through the hassel if a proper oil underspray only costs $90 @ Krown?

does the oil underspray come off when you wash the car ? like for the summer , i wash my car about 1 aweek , would i need to do this every winter ? i was thinking of doing the lining after i strip and paint the car . i would want to strip and protect the bottom. my plans are ,if it would be possible to do is retore the car to almost new . minus some aftermarket goodies . it would look stock. a sleeper . so i would protect the bottom with no rust . i seen on trucks , he got his truck sprayed with this protected lining under and on the bed . this stuff is strong . it is used in some goverment biuldings . they showed a cinderblock droping off about 10 to 20 feet high shaddered . with this lining put around the block just bounced up about 1 foot , did not break at all. its like bomb proffing your car lol . but something like this i wanted to look into so that i wouldnt need to wurry about rust under the car and wheel wells . but thanks for your info and any more you would have .
snd84318i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 11:28 PM   #21
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally posted by snd84318i
[b]The problem with rhino liner is that any sort of rust already on your car will be "sealed" under the sprayed on liner just eating away at the unprotected metal. I guess it might work for a newer car, but why go through the hassel if a proper oil underspray only costs $90 @ Krown?
Just curious... if I'm not mistaken rust oxide requires oxygen as it's prime inhibitor to take place.

*thinking back many years*... correct me if I'm wrong anyone:

Water is an electrolyte, when it hits a metal (iron) it combines with carbon dioxide in the AIR, making a very weak acid... (though a stronger electrolyte). The acid disolves the iron, and the water breaks down to it's component pieces... (h2o) Hydrogen and Oxygen. The oxygen binds into the metal, hence creating an iron oxide.. (aka RUST.)

For those who are curious----the reason salt makes a car rust quicker is because the combination of salt in the water makes again, an ever stronger electrolyte / acid... it speeds up the process.

With all that said, as long as the bottom is thoroughly dry, and you apply the water & air tight rhino-style liner, I don't see how rust can form or continue to flourish. The only thing I'd question is if your muffler and such can release heat as effectively... and if you ever have to unbolt anything, it'd be pretty tough to do with that liner over it.

Correct me if I've made any errors anyone...

J

Last edited by Justin e36; 12-24-2003 at 11:33 PM.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: