Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-20-2003, 12:22 AM   #1
ashvina
1st Gear Newbie

Unhappy odd tyre position? help plz.....

hi....

i dun kno whetha this is a prob or not, but i just bought a 93 BMW 318is and i've noticed that the rear tyres are "set" differently... its kinda hard to explain, but the right one looks "more lowered" than the left one. there's about a 1cm difference between left and right in the distance between the wheel arch and the top of the tyre (like on the left one i can fit my middle finger into he gap, but in the right one i can barely fit the tip of my little finger).

the car has been lowered about 35mm and there are 17" wheels on it.

is sumthin wrong? is it a major prob?

cheers
-ash
Old 12-20-2003, 01:29 AM   #2
SebSter
6th Gear Member

this probably isnt it, but have you checked the air in the tires? maybe one has more than the other

Old car 1990 325ix. Current car 2000 540i.
SebSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:34 AM   #3
ashvina
1st Gear Newbie

thanx sebster,

yeh they're both fine....i actually just had an Inspection 2 done on it, and after fixing a few things, it still had this prob.....so, i was just wondering what the deal was.... a mate of mine was sayin it could be that when the previous owner lowered it he didn't change the springs or sumthin?? is this possible?

cheers
-ash
Old 12-20-2003, 06:18 AM   #4
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Quote:
Originally posted by ashvina
thanx sebster,

yeh they're both fine....i actually just had an Inspection 2 done on it, and after fixing a few things, it still had this prob.....so, i was just wondering what the deal was.... a mate of mine was sayin it could be that when the previous owner lowered it he didn't change the springs or sumthin?? is this possible?

cheers
-ash
Umm you lower the car with springs...
What kind of suspension you have?? coilovers or aftermarket springs?? or springs with shocks??
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:26 AM   #5
ashvina
1st Gear Newbie

yeh... ikno...it didn't sound right when i heard it either. he was sayin somethin about heating the springs and makin them shorter and stiffer?? how do i find out what type suspension i have (ie what are "coilovers")??

cheers
-ash
Old 12-20-2003, 07:42 AM   #6
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
that is a common thing on all E36's when lowered. one side is lower then the other one. i had it and i know a few guys that had the exact same thing happening!

i lowered mine earlier in the spring with some eibach sportline (2 inches = 50mm + 17 wheels) and had the same thing happening. i can't remember anymore but i think it was the exact same side as yours too.

if it is bugging you alot, just do what i did and get your rear fenders rolled up. since i rolled my fenders, never had any problems over the biggest puthole.
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 08:05 AM   #7
ashvina
1st Gear Newbie

hey...cool *sigh of releif*!!

what do you mean by rolling the fenders?? is it something i can do...or is it more of a take it to a professional sorta job?

cheers
-ash
Old 12-20-2003, 06:16 PM   #8
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
u need a special tool for rolling the fenders. the search doesnt work i'd find u some info. try www.google.com type it in there

you could do it yourself but u would need that tool. basically they take off the rear wheels off and bolt that tool into the wheel holes, push it against the fender and roll the inner edge up. and gives u just enough room so it doesnt scratch anymore.

but it doesnt push your fender out or anything. it just rolls up the inner edge that sticking towards the tire.

try looking at some performance shop down there where you are. the dealer will not have that thing for sure.
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:05 AM   #9
ashvina
1st Gear Newbie

thanx m8t!...will check it out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: