Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-15-2003, 06:30 PM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
E36 sway bar specs please..

I need the sway bar diammeter specifications for the E36 318i and the E36 M3. Also, are there any differences in diammeters for different year M3's?

I'm swapping M3 sways into my 318.

Thanks,

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 02:11 AM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
you can swap M3 sways into your 318i, but remember they mount differently on the front of the M3 as you know (to the struts). Which means (from what I've been told) that an M3 can get by with a thinner front bar.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:12 AM   #3
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
you can swap M3 sways into your 318i, but remember they mount differently on the front of the M3 as you know (to the struts). Which means (from what I've been told) that an M3 can get by with a thinner front bar.
The rear M3 sway bar will fit the 318, but the front will not. I've purchased a conversion kit from Ground Control which consists of 2 brackets which must be welded on inorder to fit the front sway bar. Shouldn't be too much work I hope.

So are you saying that the front 318 sway bar is thicker than the front M3 sway bar?

Thanks,

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 12-16-2003, 09:04 AM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
So are you saying that the front 318 sway bar is thicker than the front M3 sway bar?
No, because I don't know the exact thickness
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:53 PM   #5
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
No, because I don't know the exact thickness
i've heard about what ur talking about... i think they are thinner but since they mount to a different spot they will still stiffen up the sway of the car.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:36 PM   #6
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

stock M3s
- 95 front is about 22.5mm
- 96+ front is about 23mm

318/318ti/325/328
varies from 24-26mm.( not sure about very early 92 models)
The average non-M3 front sway bar size is about 25mm.

SL

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:25 PM   #7
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Thanks Serge, do you have specs for the rear bars as well?

Do you think I should keep my stock front sway bar and just swap the rear with the M3 bar or do the whole conversion?

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 12-16-2003, 06:38 PM   #8
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...escription.htm

I don't remember the size for the rear of the regualar 3-series. I only remember the 318ti size which is totally different.

In my opinion, you cannot beat the adjustability of the aftermarket sways like RD or Eibach. So I wouldn't even bother with getting M3 sway bars.

SL

Quote:
Thanks Serge, do you have specs for the rear bars as well?

Do you think I should keep my stock front sway bar and just swap the rear with the M3 bar or do the whole conversion?

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 12-16-2003, 07:00 PM   #9
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Say if I paid $100 for the sway bars and the brackets, would you think there would be an improvement? Aftermarket bars can cost $600+CDN, that's a pretty huge difference in price.

thanks,

Bry

Old 12-16-2003, 07:03 PM   #10
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

You will definitely see an improvement over the stock bars(assuming you connect the front to the struts). If you want to have more control with things like track/autocross setup then spend the money and get aftermarket sways.

SL

Quote:
Say if I paid $100 for the sway bars and the brackets, would you think there would be an improvement? Aftermarket bars can cost $600+CDN, that's a pretty huge difference in price.

thanks,

Bry

Old 12-16-2003, 07:08 PM   #11
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

ok finally found the info.

96+ M3 front rear

0.905" 0.787"

318 front rear

1.0" 0.75"

This is what I found on some no name website. If anyone knows this info is incorrect please post the right diameters.

Thanks!

Bryan

Old 12-16-2003, 07:36 PM   #12
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

why not check with the dealer? would they know? or email turner motorsport or somethin

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: